A sad message indeed from 'Old Bloke' who wrote:
Hi Mr. Young,
It's me 'Old Bloke'. Siva Choy was one half The Cyclones. At the age of 16 he teamed up with his brother James also known as 'Achuthan' to form the duo.
Yesterday, 30th July, James Choi [yes different spelling of surname] passed away, aged 81. They were often referred to as, 'Singapore's Everly Brothers.' Siva wrote original songs from the age of 16 and recorded them.
Goodnight James. Have fun jamming with Siva, Zul, Sonny Bala... the list goes on.
31st July, 2026.
Thanks, Old Bloke for sharing with us the news of James' passing. May he Rest In Peace. God Bless His Soul.
[Disclaimer: Thanks again, Old Bloke for the above tribute. Hopefully the family agrees to this posting as there had been instances when such a post had to be withdrawn from the blog. Do write on the comment page to inform.]

26 comments:
Elder one of the Cyclones. RIP James Choi.
RIP JAMES. God bless your soul.
Thanks Michael. I don't know them personally; but we could have met along the way. It was such a vibrant music scene then with lots of our own Singapore 60s/70s personalities. Thanks for information too.
Those in our era can recall well. Tks for sharing.
Thanks Lawrence. Yes they were really pop then. James was the quieter CYCLONES.
Yes! Herb sent his condolences to the Eurasian Club as they mentioned his passing.
Thanks Barbara and Herb. Good to know we're mostly in touch. Time gets by truly.
Thanks to Ivor Lesslar for noticing the photograph on the posting. It has now been corrected. They both do look alike.
Thks Andy For the Info n Sad to Know Of James Passing.
One More Chapter Of Our Dear Brother In Music, Have Departed, n May U REST IN PEACE
Bro James.
GOD BLESS. 🙏🙏🙏
Thanks Merlin for the condolences. Yes, many of our 60's musicians have left...
As a young wannabe Musician & a Huge Music Fan of International Music as well as our Regional Music, I used to attend as many Concerts as I possibly could. And back in that Era, ticket prices were so affordable. I had the pleasure of enjoying all the Concerts of the famous Bands & Entertainers of the day.
I saw the Beatles of Malaysia, the Van Dort brothers Mike & Herb. Even the Beatles of Singapore, the Choy (Choi) brothers James & Siva. I also had the pleasure of jamming with Siva at the home of the Checkmates Rhythm Guitarist, the late Hanns (Hannafi) condo home at St. Patricks Road.
Lastly, Thanks Gentlemen, for the all the lovely Music You Guys provided for all Music Fans here to enjoy. Rest In Peace, those of You who are no more with us.👏✌️🙏
Thanks MICHAEL for sharing your musical journey with blog readers. With your knowledge and vast experience as a guitarist in many groups you would have met local artistes and be acquainted with them personally. It’s always a pleasure to read your comments and stories, having contributed numerous articles yourself. 🙏❤️🎶
Thanks Andy for sharing...Yes sad to hear the news the passing of James Choy of the popular group Cyclones ...may his soul RIP🙏
Thanks FREDA
Sorry to hear James have left to join Siva. Rest well, James. Play more music in heaven.
One by one, they will leave us.
And the music we grew up with will become lesser. Our turn will also come as we stand in line awaiting heaven's call. Meanwhile, keep the music alive. Ron
Yes RONALD… Hopefully I’ll be, knock, knock, knocking on heaven’s door.. Thanks for the condolence note to James’ family.
So sorry and sad to hear that PERCY DE SILVA passed away this morning. May he rest in peace and the LORD bless his soul. A good friend to many musicians.
If YOU listen well, you can hear THEM SINGING 👍
Yes Richard that’s true. Thanks for your response and support always. Sad times indeed for SINGAPORE 60s MUSIC
Thank you OLD BLOKE for the very articulate article about SIVA CHOY.
I have posted it as an independent and new piece on Sunday 14th April, 2024.
Do visit this blog again. And I welcome other brilliant ones from you.
14.4.24
(This comment appeared 2 years ago on SIVA’s posting.. it speaks for itself).
I remember The Cyclones and also Siva's Why U So Like Dat album that was released in cassette form. RIP James.
Yes that was SIVA CHOY’s masterpiece. He and JAMES were just as well known as you mentioned. Thanks JIIMMY. Always great to hear from a suave percussionist like you .
I didn't know James but his 'why U so like dat?' late bro. who was staying along Rangoon Rd.
Yes. I was told. Great oaks from little acorns grow. Thanks Richard
He used to work in the media industry
I’m not sure where JAMES CHOY worked but perhaps SIVA did.
Post a Comment