Sunday, January 10, 2021

Shangri-La Island Ballroom Singapore - The Sandpipers Live 1973 - Fred Ching Remembers


NEARLY 1,200 READERS

It was 47 years ago, 24 Dec 1973, that The Sandpipers, an American folk group, performed in Singapore Shangri-La Island Ballroom for a Gala Dinner cum Christmas Special Show. Time flies and this post is just a short comment on the concert. Just something for me to remember this event.

I attended this first concert with my neighbour, Richard, and we’re just months away from being drafted into the army. We both arrived on time and were blown away by the Christmas decorations at the ballroom. Being a VIP ticket holder gave us the opportunity to scout out the place. I was happy to discover that we were a mere 10m from the stage.

The show began not long after and looking around, I noticed that most attendees were either my age group or older and indeed it was an honor to be present at this show with several VIPs. The Sandpipers were fabulous. They have such great harmony and every songs Jim Brady, Mike Piano and Richard Shoff sang, brings back fond memories of my growing up years.
The Sandpipers - 'Come Saturday Morning' - Video from YouTube by ultra taro. Thank you.

Absolutely loved this show and these guys sang flawlessly in English, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese and Tagalog. Those who didn’t attend, sure missed out. All we can say is GREAT GREAT GREAT!!
Two years ago, I shared this little post on my favourite trio, who made an indelible mark on the music industry that even rock & roll combined with time cannot erase. A good friend then commented that after the concert ended, the Sandpipers proceeded to a midnight mass @The Novena Church, Thomson Road, and sang part of the Mass Order in Latin and the event was unannounced. It was a surprise wonderful Christmas present for the attendees. Till today, the Sandpipers performance still hold a special place in my heart.

I was lucky enough to be in the front row of the rear orchestra section and the trio walked by me, about one foot away, and went down the center aisle to the stage. Gosh, how I was blown away... ❤ ❤ ❤



The Sandpipers with 'Today' - YouTube Video by 65Seasons. Thank You.

By Fred Ching.
Thank you Fred so much for allowing your article to be posted on this blog. You can read another article about the Celine Dion concert Fred attended by clicking the connection below.

NB
Original members The Sandpipers.
Michael Piano died on December 29, 2014 in Kauai, Hawaii.
Jim Brady died on May 5, 2019 in Durango, Colorado.
Fire destroyed Sandpipers music materials at Universal Studios in 2008.

Images from Fred Ching - copyrights reserved.
Fred Ching has written many articles about his attendance of pop concerts in Singapore and in other countries. You can find him on Facebook. Just click his name...

Thanks so much Fred for being so obliging and sharing your concert stories on this blog.

7 comments:

Cedric Collars said...

Thank you Fred for reminding us about this musical group. They had a similar style of harmony like the Beach Boys. My favourite song is the French Song and I believe that you have certainly done justice to the memory of the Sandpipers. Thanks once again

JIMMY CHNG - 'DECIBELS' GUITAR GROUP said...

A nice and interesting piece from Fred. He and his neighbor Richard were so lucky to have VIP tickets for the concert. Who would forget the Sandpipers hugely popular hit GUANTANAMERA. I love to listen to their rendition of TODAY as well.

JIMMY YAP [SINGING AMBASSADOR] said...

Wow Andy, the SANDPIPERS really touched my heart with their version of GUANTANAMERA.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Thanks Cedric, Jimmy and Jimmy for your constant support and regular comments to make this blog a regular outlet for music lovers all over.

And to FRED CHING for always agreeing to my stealing his gig stories from his own postings.

FRED CHING said...

Good day Brother Andy.
Thank you very much for allowing me to share my concert experience with the Sandpipers on your fantastic blog. From the comments shared by your awesome friends, I must say you are most welcome to feature anything you find interesting that are post worthy on my Facebook. I’m touched by your interest shown.

Once again, many thanks for the birthday blessings and my son's achievement.😊🙏

suituapui said...

Mention the Sandpipers and Chotto Matte Kudasai...even though the first song I heard from them was "Quantanamera". Tanamera makes me think of a television series on Singapore.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Yes, it's true.

The TANAMERA is what it is, RED EARTH but spelt as TANAH [EARTH] and MERAH [RED].
And there is a place in Singapore called, TANAH MERAH.
But GUANTANAMERA is a tale of a girl from GUANTANAMO.

TANAMERA and
TANAH MERAH
different meanings, same pronunciation.

Thanks suituapui.