Friday, May 21, 2010

Marie Tang Talks About Talentime, Larry Lai, Stylers, Charlie Lazaroo, The Man From UNCLE

Before the Final 1 from Media Corp in Singapore 2013 there was Marie Tang, talentime participant who talks about Uncle Larry, Uncle Charlie and 'The Man from Uncle'. She is the daughter of the late Wilma Tang, who used to sing at the Ocean Park Hotel open-air nightclub near St Patrick's School at the East Coast.

  UP TO 1,100 VIEWS 
    N 30 COMMENTS    

Hi Andy,

Wow! This is really a surprise! The one and only EP I cut was with The Stylers [actually Commancheros], and I have some very fond memories of the many practice sessions we had during those days for my record, which also contains the song from The Man From U.N.C.L.E., Uncle Solo! Oh my goodness! I was only 15 years old then...

You have a very interesting blog and it will surely bring back many wonderful memories and smiles for many of us who contributed to the music scene during the 60s. Your **posting of my mum... I've just sent it to her through MSN and she too was mesmerised and surprised.

1969 Talentime... Host, Larry Lai - addressed him as Uncle Larry then - best host in Singapore, compared to some of the existing ones. Uncle Charlie (Charles Lazaroo) was such a wonderful and helpful musician.

During those days they had prizes for the top 8 contestants. I was 7th and I think I won myself a watch with changeable straps... ha, ha, ha... the simple life. I also competed in a few more talentime contests organised by Cathay Cinema in conjunction with the movie The Oscar and took first prize with my song, Fireball XL5.

Hey, I got myself an Oscar trophy, which is still in my home. And in the same year I took another first prize for a talentime organised by Boys Town but can't remember the song I sang. My singing talent was definitely my mum's genes but there were other priorities for me and I did not pursue a singing career.

Thank you once again Andy, for bringing back such good old memories.

Cheers,
Marie Tang.
21st May, 2010.

Thank you so much Marie for sharing. Really appreciate!
Marie Tang sings UNCLE SOLO and 
FIREBALL XL5 and BURONG KAKAK TUA

**Saturday, December 27, 2008:

Image:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3093/2543814906_17ac440dc9.jpg

Images and Video from GOOGLE and YOUTUBE. Thank you 'Blast From The Past'.

19 comments:

Teoh said...

Andy, I remember the TV series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E".

Thanks for putting the show's music at the side bar too. I have not heard the music for so many years. Wonderful!

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Yes, I love the tune too. Thanks to Marie Tang's letter. It gave me an excuse to put it up. In the mid 60s, from '64 - '68 it was very popular.

Randy lee said...

Kerongcong maestro Gesang Martohartono, whose song Bengawan Solo gained fame all the way to Japan and other Asian countries passed away Thursday shortly after 6 pm, in Surakarta, Central Java, after being hospitalised since May 12, with a digestive problem and eventually died of asphyxiation and heart failure. He was 92.
Gesang who could not read musical notation, composed Bengawan Solo in 1940. It became popular throughout Indonesia, Japan and other Asian countries since first being recorded, and after is was aired in the 1940's on SRV, a local radio station.
In 2003, he was awarded for his long career in the recording industry by the Indonesian Records Musuem; in 2004, he received another for Bengawan Solo's record of being the song most covered by other artistes. i

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Thanks Randy for taking time to let us know. Have posted him just now.

Anonymous said...

"Hi Andy,
Wow! I'm speechless. I didn't even think she remembered me.

Do send a thank-you note to her, will you?"

From:
Larry Lai

Anonymous said...

No, I was not the MC for the RTS Talentime 1969. I was still at Rediffusion then.

Marie Tang must have participated in 'Rediffusion Discoveries'. We had that every year from 1961 and I emceed most of them.
LL

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Thanks for responding to Marie's comment and providing more information.

Victor said...

Uncle, you are the man. :p

I have totally forgotten how the theme song for The Man From U.N.C.L.E. sounds like. Now it sounds like a new song to me.

Thanks for posting this tune.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Thanks Victor, so maybe more TV theme songs from the 60s? But you know one for sure. And it sticks in the head.
Hawaii Five O!

Victor said...

Yes, more TV theme songs from the 1960s would be good. Hawaii 5-O would be familiar to most people of my generation. But I don't remember the theme songs from The Avengers (remember John Steed?), the Saint (Roger Moore?), the Twilight Zone and the Outer Limits.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Thank you Victor. Will remember the tunes you love when I blog the next time.

Teoh said...

I remember "Hawaii Five O". It was so popular in Malaysia when the TV series was broadcasted in Malaysia.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Yes I remember our family rushing to the small screen after the, 'Hawaii Five-0' theme song was played in the evenings at home.

I learnt two phrases from the show, 1. APB (All Points Bulletin) and 2. "Book 'im."

And everyone at work whistled the theme song. Who can ever forget Jack Lord.

JayCee said...

marie, your EP of Uncle Solo and Fireball XL 5 was witkhTHe Comancheros

JayCee said...

Your EP Uncle Solo was with The Comancheros

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Thank you JayCee for providing the necessary information.

You must be either a part of 60s music or a fan.

As I explained in my profile I was with the bands for only three years and missed the great times.

Please write more often and provide these details which the blog needs.

FACEBOOK CHATS said...

Andy Young
MARIE TANG, DAUGHTER OF WILMA TANG TALKS ABOUT HER RECORDING WITH THE 3 'UNCLES'. CLICK CONNECTION TO READ HER STORY ABOUT TALENTIME.

Koh Daisy
Larry Lai, my favourite Rediffusion DJ then in the 60s, hosting radio quiz show ‘Home at 8.30’. I won $15 then, big money for a teen. He has a mesmerising voice after the likes of Len Thorne and Mike Ellery. I was hooked to Rediffusion then. I could be doing the 10- year math series practice and listening to the request program, scribbling down the lyrics at the same time…today they call it multitasking.😁😁
d
Koh Sui Pang
You have so many famous' UNCLES '

Andy Young
Koh Sui Pang , yes. 3 uncles. Thanks. This one is uncle also. Hee , hee.

Stephen Han
I saw Wilma Tang performing in Tg Rhu nightclub.She was fabulous.I saw Larry Lai at the Rediffusion Auditorium before he worked with the Co ,

Andy Young
Hi Daisy and Stephen, you both bring back memories no others can because they are first-hand experiences of a generation of folks who lived in the 60s. That's a gift in itself. THANKS SO MUCH.

Andy Young
Thanks Francis and Davy for thumbs up.

FACEBOOK CHATS said...

Andy Young
Thanks Francis and Davy for thumbs up.

Andy Young
Thanks Freda and Wen Hing for liking this post.

LARRY LAI
Thanks Andy.
I still have the album TALENTIMERS '69.
I think Marie sang WHEN CHINA BOY MEETS CHINA GIRL.
I'll have to dig it up from one of my old hard disks...
Are you still in contact with Marie.

FACEBOOK said...

THANKS TO THE FOLLOWING WHO LIKE THIS OLD POST

Lim Kuan Min
Foo Jong Fook
Gracie Teo
Alphonso Soosay
Ho Victor
Ser Kiong Tan
Ann Rowena Lim
Ericbronson Wong
Yip Dick
Freda Hanum
Chow Wen Hing
Francis Anthony Rozells
Davy Chan
Koh Sui Pang
Koh Daisy