Saturday, July 16, 2022

Singapore's Illustrious Solidarity: Soiree & De Rigueur: A Letter From Jean

UP TO 1,200 VIEWS & 15+ COMMENTS


Actress, Singer: Jane Birkin 
Famous for her song: 'Je T'aime'.
and the Hermes Birkin bag, which is named after her.

Jean Writes From The Past:

*Hello Andy, 

I know I'm a bit late with this post as I came across your blog while looking up Amber Mansion's Celestial Room. My late mother (who was a Eurasian from Katong in Singapore) often talked about the tea dances there and how jovial & classy they were. Everyone made an effort to dress smartly for a soirée back then. Elnett sprays for girls and Brylcreem or Tancho for the boys were de rigueur.

Thanks for the picture. It gave my search an added identity to my Mum's anecdotes about her teen years in her beloved Singapore in the 50/60s. She was so proud to have come from a rich multiracial society that was/is Singapore. Such solidarity is illustrious and unseen elsewhere in the world.

Cheers Andy!

Yesterday Yes A Day - Jane Birkin. 
YouTube Video by: Nikita Chen.
This song is for Jean, one of her favourites.

Hi Jean,

Thanks for the beautiful tale about your late mother. She must have been quite a 'cool cat' those years.

Glad to hear about Elnett, Brylcreem and Singapore's multi-racial face. You are right about solidarity being "unseen elsewhere in the world."

Appreciate your visit. I went to your profile but could not link to your blog...
Writer *Jeanne

*Hi Andy,

Excuse me for the late reply due to heavy workload.
I have no blog yet. I meant to seriously open one about my passion for Egyptian and Greek archeology but just never got round to it yet LOL. No time lah. One day soon I hope.

I go through your fabulous blog whenever I get the chance. Its a comfort zone for nostalgia buffs like me. Thank goodness for the Internet that's changed almost everyone's lives in creating a global village with communication at the touch of our fingers.

Cheers Andy!

Jean,

Thanks so much for your huge support. It's letters like yours that keep me going. If you're still reading this blog, please reply. Thirteen years is a long time.

[This note from Jean, written in May 2009, is a re-post.]

*Jean or Jeanne to the Francophiles. I'm trilingual and love my dog and cat, animals and their welfare, music, The Golden Girls, jogging, the ocean, Spain, weekends, sleeping, sweet desserts. I grew up in Asia and London before moving back home. Schooling was unconventional to say the least but I always got good grades anyway. My heroes are my parents, Mother Theresa of Calcutta and Aung San Suu Kyi.

Amber Mansion in the 60s. 
And where Dhoby Ghaut MRT is located today.

16 comments:

CHOW WEN HING [SINGER/COMPOSER/WRITER] said...

Wow Andy,

You do have surprising connections. I hope Jean is still reading the blog and will write something again.

And Jane Birkin is 76 years young now.

JIMMY CHNG [DRUMMER - THE DECIBELS] said...

Elnett, Brylcreem, Tancho and may I add Yardley's Brilliantine to the list. Indeed these were the iconic products we grew up with in those halcyon years. By the way, I didn't realise that Ms. Jane Birkin is a singer and an actress and such a famous personality. I did watch a movie in which she starred... EVIL UNDER THE SUN.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Thanks WEN HING. Yes, many such letters on the blog as I go through them again sieving through to pick some for reposting, which I think may be interesting to many readers.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Thanks Jimmy for the informative comment. I've never see her movies although she might not be that popular in Singapore.

Yardley is indeed thick and glossy and sticky. But green looks nice and smells great too, although a little heavy for me.

JIMMY CHNG [DRUMMER - THE DECIBELS] said...

Yes, thick and glossy not unlike Tancho? I actually started of using Brylcreem then Yardley's then Tancho and lastly Vitalis. Now nothing at all.

CEDRIC COLLARS [PIANIST - PERTH/AUSTRALIA] said...

Hi Andy,
I remember there used to be a PAPINEAU family when I was in school but that's about the only French connection that I can recall. Sorry I couldn't help with this.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Could be her?

CEDRIC COLLARS [PIANIST - PERTH/AUSTRALIA] said...

Don't know but then if she gave me her mother's maiden name maybe I could relate it. There was also a Boudeville family but they were from Penang.

ANONYMOUS said...

Jane Birkin famous song: 'Je T'aime' is a very sensual number.
No imagination is needed when you listen to it.
LOL.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Yes, that's true.
Listening to it just makes you spoon.
Thanks for visiting ANONYMOUS.

SYAHIDA OTHMAN [CNA ANCHOR] said...

A lovely exchange of words.
Thank you Andy. Hope you are well.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Hi Syahida.
I didn't know you're on the air when I sent you the posting.
Stay safe and thanks for the comments.

Malvin said...

A very lovely exchange. Thank you for sharing Andy, hope you are well! 😊

OLIVER B. [DRUMMER/FORMER SEC SCHOOL PRINCIPAL said...

Thanks. An interesting link with the past.

JIMMY APPUDURAI (GUITARIST EXTRAORDINAIRE) said...

Love it.
XXXXX

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Thanks to MELVIN, OLIVER and JIMMY [England] for your short but valuable comments. To some this post is a link with the past; to others it doesn't matter at all. But like Jeanne mentioned, the internet has created 'a global village, with communications at the touch of our fingers.'

Keep your comments pouring in.