Saturday, June 26, 2021

Pop Music Quotes From 60s Living Legends

Hank Marvin, Paul Anka. 
Pat Boone, Johnny Mathis, Eric Burdon.

UP TO 1,700 VIEWS, 30+ COMMENTS , COMMENTS

Long And Short Comments From Legends About Pop Music In General

[1] Johnny Mathis

“I think the music perpetuated now on radio and that kids hear, structure-wise, is not geared for pretty sounds. It’s geared for pyrotechnics. They get a big kick out of it, but they’re just kids. It takes a while for other influences to get to a younger crowd.”

[2] Hank Marvin [The Shadows]

“When I’m playing a tune, I like to try to imagine I’m singing it and use phrasing that works for me. To feel I’m communicating something through the melody against playing it straight, or changing it so much that you lose some charm of the original...  when I play a great tune I always like to establish it first. If someone’s written a great tune it’s good to show you appreciate and respect the value of that tune.” 

Pat Boone - 'I'll Be Home'. 
YouTube video by felixbautista.

[3] Pat Boone

''Ironically, for a few million people in the Far East, I did become an English teacher through my music.'' 

[4] Paul Anka

“I believe in criticism.” 

[5] Eric Burdon [Animals]

''It's the need for change that drives us to join forces with our brothers and sisters all around the world - but change is slow.'' 

Hank Marvin with 'Summertime Blues' 
YouTube video Frans Ditmar

If you have some quotes from singers and musicians to add, please write in.

[Images were taken at random from Google and come from different stages of their lives. They are in their late 70s to late 80s.]

14 comments:

suituapui said...

I love Pat Boone's "I'll be home". Was just a kid when this song was a hit over the airwaves.

FACEBOOK CHATS said...

Andy Young
THANKS Jimmy n Jalani for instant thumbs up.

Hiroshi Deguchi
Pat, you're absolutely right. I sang "Love Letter in The Sand" you taught me on the beach when I was 14.

Andy Young
Hi Hiroshi who's Pat.

Hiroshi Deguchi
Boone

Hiroshi Deguchi
my sandy beach

Andy Young
what I'd call a private enclave.

Hiroshi Deguchi
I'm sure you would like to write love letters on my sand. you can imagine how it is like when the sun sets into the ocean beyond.

Andy Young
thanks to all friends who LIKE this post.

Chow Wen Hing
“We soldier on!” Joe Ng, lead singer and band leader of the Padres.

FACEBOOK said...

THANKS TO ALL FOLKS BELOW WHO LOVE THIS POST
Alphonso Soosay
Freda Hanum
Chow Wen Hing
Francis Anthony Rozells
Ser Kiong Tan
Moody Cash
Ann Rowena Lim
Hiroshi Deguchi
Jalani Mohamed
Jimmy Appudurai-chua

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Thanks to all folks who wrote in early.
My focus was more on the quotes by these musicians.
But I can understand the distraction because they are famous more for their songs.

CHEERS

Anonymous said...

Young people nowadays are more attracted to the gleam and glamour of stage artistry than the songs. K-POP is one instance and the other stage performances we see today. Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Ariana Grande, etc., just wondering how many in the audience listen to the lyrics and what they mean.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Yes, like what Johnny Mathis mentioned.
They are just kids and will take awhile for them to appreciate the other aspects.
THANKS for the visit.

Cedric Collars said...

Music like art is appreciated by the eyes or ears of the beholder. As such if it touches the heart and soul and makes the mind at ease with the rest of the body, then the artist has achieved what he/she set out to do. This is my belief and experience.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Thanks Cedric for your always eloquently wise sayings pertaining to the arts.

[Cedric Collars, a professional pianist, lives in Perth, Australia and has been a pillar of strength supporting this blog for some time now.]

FACEBOOK CHATS said...

TCB was a phrase which Elvis Presley used a great deal, mainly with his friends in what is known as the 'Memphis Mafia'. The group used the famous acronym, TCB, which meant 'Taking Care of Business.

FACEBOOK CHATS said...

Alphonso Soosay
Great memories!

Andy Young
Like what Jimmy A. said Al, it's just memories. But I like the QUOTES coming from these 5 stars; I wish some viewers would take a look at the blog itself and make comments.

THANKS ALPHONSO.

FACEBOOK said...

Thanks to the following for liking this post

CHARLIE YAP
DAVY CHAN
KALI DASS S.
KOH SUI PANG
ROOP SINGH

MICHAEL BANGAR (Professionak Guitarist) said...

Hi Andy !
More Quotes :- (1)
"Do Not Put A Person Down 'till You've Been In His Or Her Shoes." The late Gladys Presley - Mother Of King Elvis.
(2)
"What ? The King Of Rock & Roll ? All I Wanted To Do Was Be Like Frankie Lane Or Dean Martin !"
The King Of Rock & Roll - Elvis Presley.
(3)
"Those Of You In The Cheaper Seats Clap Your Hands. The Rest Of You Just Rattle Your Jewellery."
John Lennon (in 1964) - The Beatles.
(4)
"When People Tell You, You Are Good, Its A Compliment. When You Start Telling Yourself You Are Good, You Are In Deep Trouble. - "Sammy Davis Jr.

ALFRED WONG said...

Andy
u got a good blog going there -
wish I could criticise u just one iota -
as Paul Anka said @ “ l believe in criticism “
keep up the good work - keep on writing ✍️

JIMMY YAP said...

The Animals my favorite band !
The House of the Rising Sun
Bring it on home to me.
What a treasure. Also like to sing
WE GOTTA GET OUT OF THIS PLACE.