Thursday, May 02, 2019

Singapore Pop Girl Group Musician Freda Hanum: May Day Songs I Remember

She heard the hits again and her natural outflow describing songs she loves resulted in a free-spirited writing style that can only come from a talented and gifted pop music artiste like Freda Hanum.

She is from the very popular girl group The Teepees.

Thank you, Freda, for your contribution. Soon the Teepees will appear on these pages, but that might take a while. Meantime, here's Freda with her comments about the nostalgia she experienced when she listened to the songs once more after so many years. It's inspirational.

The song below has been replaced because another posting of the same nature with the song, Summertime Blues has already been featured. This is another May song by Julie Andrews. Enjoy.
The Lusty Month of May: Julie Andrews 
from the musical: Camelot. 
YouTube Video: Julie Andrews - Topic

Wow, Andy,

I cannot believe my ears hearing that song Summertime Blues (Eddie Cochran), I thought nobody even notices that song. My band had been playing and I sang that song almost every other night when we were in Hiroshima for the 6 months contract in Japan. 

Our Japanese friends like it. I did not hear of it again any more or anywhere or of any band playing the song in Singapore or Malaysia since 1985 when I came back (cannot remember exactly which year). It had been totally out of my mind since then until I heard it from your blog today. All songs bring a specific memory of when, where and
the happenings surrounding it, who you were with, or a special occasion. 
A Hard Day's Night obviously an international Beatles hit, was so very popular among all age group, and that brought my memories back to my secondary school days at Katong; I used to write down all their songs lyrics in my songbook. 

The song Car Wash (Rose Royce) brings back my memories with the Falcons years back in the 80s I think, a very popular Malaysian band. I was supposed to replace their singer who had to go back to the States, me practising the Car Wash refrains almost every day just to get that essence; it was not easy but their vocalist sang that number superbly. As I am more of a lounge singer I did not join the band. 
What memories you brought back...

Oh my, this song is still an all-time favorite. I never forgot that movie Melody Fair. S.W.A.L.K.(seal with a loving kiss) with Mark Lester, Jack Wild, and Tracy Hyde.  So cute were these kids; I fell in love with the movie. 

Lately just a few months ago - I upload movies but only good old classic ones and with a really good storyline - I managed to find the movie, which I had been searching for quite some time. I was so happy when I finally got it. The songs In The Morning and 1st of May really blended with the movie so well... beautiful songs. The BeeGees have definitive songs that I never tire listening to. 

Thanks for the oldies and they do click with me. I want to thank you, Andy, for bringing back the good old times in your blog. Cheers to you. 

Wouldn't know much about songs to protest about, as long as they're good to hear or sing... just go along happily.
Written by Freda Hanum. Copyrights Reserved. Keyboardist for 'Teepees' Pop Girl Group 1970s.  
Above Teepees in the Seventies. Below with Andy Young and Teepees (Rose, Freda, Anna, Rumini) @ Oleh Oleh Teahouse - 2019.

Connect to read:
https://singapore60smusic.blogspot.com/2019/06/selamat-hari-raya-2019-kampong.html

10 comments:

FACEBOOK CHATS said...

Andy Young
She writes her feelings about some songs she read on the blog. Check her out again. Cheers.

Hiroshi Deguchi
How wonderful it is to see people you know a long time ago, so Andy your job is interesting. As it happens, I recently met an old friend of mine again on FB. I happened to meet him in the north European town 47 tears ago. Looking forward to The Teepees story.

Andy Young
Special thanks Hiroshi, your comment is not the churned out one from a factory belt-line. It's a genuine observation and from the heart. Glad you met your friend. 47 years, that's some time ago. :-)

Andy Young
Thanks, Ser Kiong. Cute guy!

Perry Koh
Lovely then, lovely now.

Andy Young
Perry, thank you. Always with beautiful phrases to use. I just love your writing style. Yes, she is lovely isn't she...

Michael Lee
Hi Andy - Summertime blues is one of my favorites, listened to it often enough. If I may quote Rex to be a professional you have to practice well to play well and what is required. Cheerio, have a nice weekend.

Andy Young
It's a fave for many. Thanks, Michael for your sincere and constant support.

Stephen Han
Summertimes Blue by the late Eddie Cochran is still one of my favs

Andy Young
Thank you, Stephen. Your comments are touching everyone's hearts. You were on the scene those years.

Andy Young
MICHAEL, STEPHEN, PERRY, HIROSHI, JALANI, SER KIONG, CHARLIE, JIM. Thank you all for the thumbs up. Yes, we must always salute these unsung heroines of the past. Freda, you're back!

FREDA HANUM (TEEPEES LADIES POP 70S GROUP) said...

That's me!!

Taken while working as a soloist at the lounge of River Side Hotel, Malacca..... hahaha that's about some 30 years back.

Thank you so much, Andy, for liking my comments in your blog, will treasure it always.

Teepees story will be coming up soon from him. Do log into his blog for his interesting articles of the good old golden days. Old memories are treasures... Happy reading!!!

FREEDA HANUM FACEBOOK CHATS said...

Mary Chye
So beautiful...

Freda Hanum
Mary Chye hahaha ya ka thank you...

Linda Tan
Freda, I have seen this picture somewhere. Can't recall where.


Freda Hanum
Linda Tan that's nice to hear dear nvm, as long it's not on wanted list hahaha😂

Freda Hanum
Vincy Koay Thanks Vince.. You in JB?

Theresarestores Gopal
Wow you look great

Jus Kadir
Wow... thats nice!
·
Freda Hanum
My very special thanks to Andy for his beautiful creative post of me in his blog... I feel honoured👍

Freda Hanum
Thank you so much to all dear old friends, JUDY POW, JERRY FERNANDEZ, KAROLINA NAPIERALA, AZMAN MOHD NOOR and LATIFF NAPOLEON (he's one of my earliest friend in 70s, now a big-time fashion photographer in London) THANKS TO ALL!!! for the compliments. ❤️💋

FACEBOOK CHATS said...

FEDA HANUM
I am fascinated... Andy you are putting me up on a pedestal, hahaha no I am not back, my memories are back😊but really thanks to all!

Andy Young
Unsung heroes need to be put on a pedestal. And you're back in circulation. Cheers.

Freda Hanum
Andy Young WOW OMG!!!

Top Gunter
Margaret Chan too

Andy Young
Thanks Top.

Nicholas Stravens
Good on you Andy ...was waiting for the write up on the old bands...

Andy Young
Hi Nick, lots on the blog. Thanks for the support.

Andy Young
Thanks to JIMMY, ANN R., ALPHONSO and NICK for the thumbs up on this post.

Thank you Stephen.
Your comments are touching everyone's hearts. You were on the scene those years. YES.

Stephen Han
Andy Young -Eddie Cochran was killed in a Taxi’s crash in London on his way to return to the USA.
He had a concert there with the Everly Bros and Gene Vincent.

FREEDA HANUM FACEBOOK CHATS said...

THANKING FREDA HANUM's FACEBOOK FRIEND WHO 'LIKE' HER POST

JOANNE JUDD
THERESARESTORES GOPAL
KAROLINA NAPIERALA
CANDY JILAVAN
JERRY FERNANDEZ
SINAR SINARAJAH
JUS KADIR
AZMAN M. NOOR
VINCE KOAY
LINDA TAN
JUDY POW
LATIFF NAPOLEON

ANDY'S FACEBOOK said...

THANKS TO THE FOLLOWING WHO 'LIKE' THIS POST

STEPHEN HAN
ANN ROWENA LIM
JIMMY A.
HIROSHI DEGUCHI
ALPHONSO S.
JENNIE LAW
JALANI M.
PERRY YAP
TAN SER KIONG
CHARLIE YAP
JIM BOEY

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Thanks to all FACEBOOK supporters.
Freda's post has shot from zero to number 3 in just one day.
You can see the statistics on the right-hand column of this page under the TOP TEN POSTS.
CONGRATULATIONS FREDA.

FREDA HANUM (TEEPEES LADIES POP 70S GROUP) said...

I really cannot thank you enough. Andy, it is with your encouragement and support that inspires me to write the way I feel. I can see your passion and your dedication for your blog and the bringing back of the good old stories of yesteryear for readers, are really amazing.

I am fascinated by a mind so active like yours. Do keep it up. Thanks, for this wonderful post you did. It's a treasure I will keep.

And to my FB friends and others who wrote in to comment, thank you very much for the support.

God bless you all.

MICHAEL LEE (SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA) said...

Agree with Perry.
Just like to add she looks elegant too.
Cheerio

FACEBOOK CHATS said...

''OLEH OLEH BANDUNG, BAJU BATEK POTONGAN-NYA SERONG.''
A lovely place to meet for a Cool, Comfortable, Chat.
Cheers.

Jimmy Appudurai-chua
Andy Young we meet there next time Andy.

Hiroshi Deguchi
I will come.

Andy Young
HIROSHI FROM THE EAST, JIMMY FROM THE WEST. FREDA FROM THE NORTH.
WHAT MORE CAN I ASK FOR. CHEERS EVERYONE. THANKS

Jimmy Appudurai-chua
Andy Young you have friends everywhere

Hiroshi Deguchi
The place has become famous even jn Japan as the spot Andy organized TPs reunion.

Jimmy Appudurai-chua
Hiroshi Deguchi yrs please xx

Author
Freda Hanum
Andy Young Yes indeed, I agree a great place to meet to have light snacks and chit chats hehehe

Author
Freda Hanum
Jimmy Appudurai-chua

Author
Freda Hanum
Hiroshi Deguchi Super!!!