Saturday, April 06, 2024

Singapore 60s Music Makers: Cycling @ Ang Moh Kio, Paya Lebar, Thomson: By Ronald Ho.

UP TO 600 VIEWS 

Ronald and his group of cycling friends in the 1950's when
Singapore was wild with unguarded fruit trees and empty roads.


"I found a key which happened to be a master-lock key..."


A delightfully enchanting tale from good friend, Ronald Ho, that may not move any young person's heart today. But I love it! There were no handphones, lap-tops, digital games or bubble-tea drinks but lots of good 'clean' fun, fruits and BICYCLES! Thanks Ron.

Andy, all kampong boys somehow learn to ride bicycles even though they do not have the luxury of owning one themselves. I was one of them. Learnt to ride adult bicycles by borrowing them. We were poor and could not afford such a luxury back in 1950s. 

I found a key which happened to be a master-lock key, and used it to borrow, without permission, an adult bike from an old man who left the bike locked while he went to work. My rides were from 1pm to 3pm till one day, he had the afternoon off and came back at 1.30pm to find his bike had been borrowed. 

He was understanding after my apologies but my Mum was furious and thrashed me in his presence. I was made to give up the master key. It was not until 1965 when I had to attend night classes at Lembaga for A level that I bought a $75 bicycle made in Taiwan from the savings I earned while working at Straits Times Periodicals as a clerk for 4 months (I quit as the job was silly and boring) and decided to further my studies. 

"My mum thrashed me in his presence."

The bicycle was fun as the rest of the Meltones, except for Richard, could go biking. So Jimmy Appudurai, David Lim, Kelly Tan, Malcolm Alphonso, Billie (David's cousin), Derrick DeAlwis and I decided to ride from Katong to Lim Chu Kang to see Giles Miranda, our classmate who was at SAFTI. 

It was a ride I will never forget as it took us through the farms of Paya Lebar, Aw-Kang, and Angmo Kio to Sembawang, and through old Mandai Road during the expansion of Upper Seletar Reservoir, and through old Chua Chu Kang and Jalan Bahar. We had fun stealing rambutans, guava and other fruits from unguarded trees. On the way back, we took the west coast route and landed at old Bouna Vista Road (aka the Gap) where we were thrillingly rode our bikes downhill like Old Thomson Road Grand Prix motorcyclists. Luckily, no one fell or was injured. But we lost half of the rubber on our brakes. 

"It was a ride I will never forget..."

Here is a quote I took from Google AI on the Gap: "Yes, South Buona Vista Road in Singapore was once known as "The Gap" from the 1950s to the 1970s. The road is a curvy, winding, and narrow rural road that runs through hilly terrain and connects Dover to Pasir Panjang. Locals also commonly refer to the road as "99 bends". 

It was great to be young. I will not trade my youth days for anything.

Any comment my dear reader? Always welcome for one.

"We took the west coast route...known as The Gap"


"We had fun stealing rambutans, guava 
and other fruits from unguarded trees."


Fats Domino: Rockin' Bicycle. 
YouTube Video from: Fats-4-Ever.

Author: Ronald Ho.

Images: Google; A Private Collection.

Ronald has other stories to tell.
Click his name under 'Labels' below.
There are other bicycle tales too. Click 'bicycles'.

If you take information from this article for your own use, 
credit the writer, blog and me because copying is stealing.
Andy.

2 comments:

Cedric Collars said...

Ahhh days of our youth. I remember them well and enjoyed them thoroughly right to the cuts and bruses. Fun in the most harmless way. Yes indeed

JIMMY CHNG [MUSICIAN, DRUMMER, 'THE DECIBELS' GUITAR GROUP said...

A delightfully enchanting tale indeed if I may borrow your line Andy.

My growing up years mirrors that of Ronald's. From kampong life, learning how to ride on a borrowed adult bicycle, master-lock key, stealing rambutans, guavas, star fruits, chikus, attending Lembaga night classes for A-Level [HSC as it was called then] and the winding part of South Buona Vista Rd also called, The Gap, where exciting motor car and motor cycle sprint racing events [organised by the Singapore Motor Club] were held.

The events were named "Gap Hill Climb" and FTD [Fastest Time of the Day] trophies were awarded to riders/drivers who clocked the fastest times in the various classes. Truly, those were the days my friend.

And thanks to Ronald for sharing his tale.