Monday, December 18, 2023

Christmas Songs, Hymns, Carols n Agatha Christie With CYLin: by Jimmy Chng

Everly Brothers. YouTube Video: 
from Catherine Silver.
We Wish You A Merry Christmas.
Gaudeamus Igitur: Recorded June 2021. 
Glasgow University Chapel Choir
YouTube

Andy explains, "It's a song learnt as a student at St. Andrew's or St. Margaret's.
The Song has Latin manuscript and used as a formal graduation hymn; a jolly, light-hearted composition originating in 1289, that makes fun of university life. Like the phrase Carpe Diem, it's just another way of saying, Seize the day!"

Here's a note from Jimmy Chng:

Hi Andy

You asked if I could contribute an article for your blog like what my late sister Lin had done so annually for a number of years. I had initially told you that I wasn't able to. As I subsequently pondered on your request, something inside of me "triggered" and motivated me to try and come up with one. I think it has to do with the love and respect I have for my sister as well as the gratitude we both have towards your wonderful blog.

Lin was the eldest amongst her four siblings, with me being the youngest at 5 years her junior. She went to a mission school and through her, I learned to sing Christian hymns and Christmas carols at a very young (pre-school) age. I think Latin was a subject in her school's curriculum then as well, and unsurprisingly I also learned to sing Gaudeamus Igitur.

Since young, Lin had always wanted to be a school teacher. As kids, we used to play "school" and us younger siblings and our neighbours' children of similar age range were her "students" and she the "teacher."  Her ambition to be a school teacher was realized when she joined the teaching profession upon completing her secondary school studies. She remained in the teaching profession until her retirement.

She loved reading, especially novels by Agatha Christie [above titles are for illustrations only] and both my other sister and I would listen intently when she told us the stories soon after she had finished reading. Lin also loved listening to pop music/songs on the radio. On occasions she and I would do sing-alongs together to Everly Brothers hits like, Devoted to You, Lightning Express, Ebony Eyes, etc.

It's been slightly more than a year since Lin's passing. She would have, around this time of the year begun to draft another article for your blog had she not succumbed to her illness.

The piece she contributed to your blog on 23 December 2019 titled, **"Christmas message: God used your blog to bring about this happening," was in appreciation and gratitude to you and your blog.

Merry Christmas to you & family and your readers.

The writer, family and friends. 
Read the article below to appreciate this pix.
**Link:

https://singapore60smusic.blogspot.com/2019/12/christmas-message-god-used-your-blog-to.html

Ms CYLin and Jimmy Chng have written a number of articles for this blog. Check them out by clicking their names under Labels below.


Everly Brothers YouTube Video:
Some of the Best: from Pete Roberts.
Images: Google.

You Tube Videos.

If you take information from this article for your own use, 
at least credit me because copying is stealing.
Andy.

No comments: