Monday, February 03, 2020

Wuhan Virus: Spreading Topical Songs In A Hopeful World

When Something's Wrong With My Baby: Sweet Inspiration.

Some of these songs have suitable titles fitting to the situation we're in today.  The world is in a plaintive mood as more people are inflicted with an incurable virus. And that is exactly what's happening in China.

We pray for the Chinese people and others all over the globe who are suffering from the Wuhan virus. I've included songs that discuss love, encouragement, helpfulness and faith.

We hope they recover soonest. 
Meantime, the world needs lots of sweet inspiration.
Whispering Hope: Jim Reeves

Soft as the voice of an angel breathing a lesson unheard
Hope with a gentle persuasion whispers a comforting word

Wait till the darkness is over wait till the tempest is done
Hope for the sunshine tomorrow after the darkness is gone

Whispering hope oh how welcome 
Thy voice making my heart any sorrow rejoice...

(Alice Hawthorne/Domenico Savino).


He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother The Hollies

The road is long
With many a winding turn
That leads us to who knows where
Who knows where
But I'm strong
Strong enough to carry him
He ain't heavy, he's my brother
So on we go
His welfare is of my concern
No burden is he to bear
We'll get there
For I know
He would not encumber me
He ain't heavy, he's my brother

(Bob Russell/Bobby Scott)
Image result for masked patient

Songs Of Sickness, Pain, Sorrow,
Hope, Relief, Love Or Otherwise:

In No Particular Order:

When Something's Wrong With My Baby: D'Topnotes
He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother: The Hollies
Whispering Hope: Jim Reeves

I Will Survive: Gloria Gaynor
Wind Me Up, Let Me Go: Cliff Richard
Leaving On A Jet Plane: John Denver

Stand By Me: Ben E. King
Too Sick To Pray: Willie Nelson
Crying In The Chapel: Elvis Presley

Smile: Charles Chaplin
Tears In Heaven: Eric Clapton
Seasons In The Sun: Kingston Trio

Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head: B.J. Thomas
Don't Stop: Fleetwood Mac
Bridge Over Troubled Water: Simon n Garfunkel

We Gotta Get Out of This Place: The Animals
Help: The Beatles
You're My Remedy: The Marvelettes 

All Shook Up: Elvis Presley
Do You Really Want To Hurt Me: Culture Club
I Don't Need No Doctor: Humble Pie

Stayin' Alive: Bee Gees
Another One Bites The Dust: Queen
I Just Called To Say I Love You: 

Spoonful of Sugar: Julie Andrews
Doctor's Orders: Carl Douglas
I Shall Be Released: Bob Dylan

Hospital Song: 10cc
I Don't Need No Doctor: Humble Pie
The Bible Tells Me So: Dale Evans

Another song of hope, SUKIYAKI:
https://singapore60smusic.blogspot.com/2009/07/singaporeans-still-remember-song-today.html

Are you familiar with any of these songs? 
Are they suitable for the situation we're in now?  
Do you have other ones to recommend?
Disclaimer:

This posting is heartfelt and there is no intention to upset anyone. If for any reason there are songs that should not be on the list, do write in, let me know and I shall delete them. Thank you.

Images: Google.

17 comments:

EDDIE ENG said...

Andy has a relevant song for every occasion and situation.
This is akin to the practice of law where citing a relevant precedent in support of a case at hand is an important litigating skill.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Thank you Eddie.
Every time I want to give up the blog, someone like you will write in.
You're a genius with the English language with native speaker competence
and positive vibes.

The internet has thousands, millions (?) of songs and selecting a few from the lot
is quite a simple exercise.
I'm just glad I can get some friends and readers like you to read it.

CYLIN said...

Andy,

It is worrying times.
For all whichever our faith, we can look to God for comfort and strength and of course abide by the health instructions to stay well and safe.
I find it most reassuring the song 'Still - Be still and know ...' by Don Moen.

HIROSHI DEGUCHI (JAPAN) said...

I'd like to add "Sukiyaki" Andy.

Because it is encouraging song originally, going like:

"Walk looking up so as not to let the tears fall...
Let all the sorrows up behind the clouds in the sky."

Why was this song so popular here?
Because it made many Japanese who were down after the war look up.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Thank you Hiroshi.

Grateful for your contribution.
Meaningful lyrics that inspires everyone. Without your explanation many of us wouldn't have known.
I have included your comment on the blog page as I would all other song titles.

And thanks to CYLin for her inspirational gospel song. It's very popular and many readers reacted positively to it.

Anonymous said...

Dear Andy, as the daily updates continue to show an uptrend on the number of confirmed cases and fatalities, somehow CCR's Bad Moon Rising keeps ringing in my head :(

Richard Paul Michael said...

Thank you for sharing D'Topnotes' EP which I have forgotten. Still can watch their performance on youtube. They were the predecessor of The New Topnotes.

STEPHEN HAN said...

'What A Wonderful World' it will be of an antidote could be found for corona virus.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

That's an appropriate one for this problem we have. Thanks Stephen.

FL said...

In the midst of people fear and worries of the corona virus, I think these two songs can help to ease their minds, i.e. We are the world (USA for Africa) and Sunshine, on my shoulder (the late John Denver).

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Thank you both ANONYMOUS and Stephen Han.
How very true from the two of you.
Both sides of midnight so to speak.

Yes: CCR's song rings loud and clear.
And the word 'bad' isn't too welcoming as always.

Yes: Stephen 'What A Wonderful World' might be the final outcome.
Let's all hope for the best.

I appreciate the feedback from all.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

And to Richard M Paul.
Appreciate you like the copy of D'Topnotes.
It's from my own collection.
Yes, and they are also on Facebook.

Thanks so much Richard.

FRED CHING said...

Engelbert Humperdinck “Release Me” will be of great help at this point of time
Brother Andy.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

How very true Fred.
Thanks very much.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

TO FL:

Thanks FL for the two songs that you indicated.

'We are the world' (USA for Africa) and 'Sunshine, on my shoulder' (the late John Denver)
are definitely suitable themes for this calamity we are all in.

Assuring words are what we need but tears, as the saying goes, are the silent language of grief.

HIROSHI DEGUCHI (JAPAN) said...

A friend of mine says:

"I have read the blog yesterday and listened to Sukiyaki by Kyu Sakamoto many times. It is a wonderful song and the singer is really good!! I found the song also on youtube with Japanese and English text on. So I know the words Japanese language is very beautiful in songs.

It was also interesting to read the history of the song and how the young singer died. So sad. Sukiyaki was also popular in Finland when I was young. It was a fine thing from your friend to comfort the victims of corona virus with special songs. I listened some of them but not yet all."

YEN CHOW said...

He ain't heavy! Familiar song often used in commercial.