Sunday, February 11, 2018

My Funny Valentine: Alice Fredenham New Love?


Alice Fredenham, Matt Dusk, Miles Davis, Frank Sinatra, Barbra Striesand, Chet Baker.

Another Valentine's Day Posting 2018: 

The Song:

Strange that this popular jazz standard is relatively unknown in our part of the world. Ask anyone to sing Fly Me To The Moon and the person will immediately hum or sing the tune. Similarly, with other familiar ones like Summertime, The Lady Is A Tramp or even Misty. Known factors.

But ask about My Funny Valentine and the response, "Yes, I've heard of it but I don't know the tune." Even our local 60's music pop stars today never batted an eyelid when I mentioned the title. The only people familiar are the jazz musicians around. 

The 600 Plus Covers:

The song, written by composer Richard Rogers and lyricist Lorenz Hart, has been sung by more than 600 artistes and recorded on 1,300 plus albums. It was one of the show tunes for Babes In Arms, a musical that appeared in 1937. I wasn't even born then and those babes in arms who know the song are probably gone by now.

Sarah Vaughn, Linda Ronstadt, Kim Novak are favourites that can carry the song well.

Since hundreds of artistes have put the song on vinyl, lovers of this tune have a wide choice. I love two covers, one is an earlier recording by Sarah Vaughn and the other by Linda Rondstadt in 1986. But Frank Sinatra's classic, Pal Joey recorded lovely Kim Novak (she resembles Charlize Theron) singing it. 

Others who covered it, sometimes for a performance only, included Billie Holiday, Tony Bennett, Chaka Khan, Sting, Boy George, TC Carson, Angela McClusky, Lubelle Rose, Michelle Pfeiffer, Anita Baker, Nancy Wilson, Carly Simon, Bjork, Etta James, Melinda DoLittle, Ann Hampton Callaway, Nat King Cole, Michael Buble and many more.
The Latest Version:
Lately, in 2013, an unknown, bashful, tearful singer called Alice Fredenham (You could sing the phonebook, says Simon Cowell) gave a beautiful rendition. With 43 million viewers on YouTube, she became an overnight sensation but not without controversy because a media has mentioned she appeared in another show different - like she has had a make-under. Ah, my funny Valentine. 😉


 Britain's Got Talent Recording: My Funny Valentine by Alice Fredenham.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/BritainsGotTalent09

For me, I am taking the above video as it is because at last, a song so delectably charming is rendered so truthfully, by a lady so breathtakingly beautiful. 

My funny Valentine, sweet comic Valentine 
You make me smile with my heart
Your looks are laughable
Unphotographable
Yet you're my favourite work of art...

A Happy Valentine's Day to all lovers. 💖



Article: Andy Lim Copyrights Reserved.
Images of vinyl covers from Google.
Information from the Internet.

15 comments:

AUDIE NG (SILVER STRINGS, LEADER, BASSIST) said...

Alice Fredenham is d best very sexy voice n unique style of singing.

JERRY SARAM said...

Alice Fredenham's rendition of My Funny Valentine is superb.

LOUIS SOLIANO (LEGEND: PERCUSSIONIST) said...

If the judges like her and with the tremendous applause from the audience... she is a natural born singer.

Undiscovered talent.

VICTOR WOO (THE TRAILERS, LEAD GUITARIST) said...

Simply mesmerising.

DR. A. KHOO said...

Thanks for reminding me of this song. Haven't heard it for ages! Brings back childhood memories.

HORACE WEE (GUITAR LEGEND, PROFESSIONAL MUSICIAN) said...

Alice Fredenham. Think I saw this audition performance. That's an awful backing track they used in the live audition for a beautiful timeless classic! Sounds like a synthesizer with a horrible modulating string preset. I'd like to strangle the keyboard player who did the track.

The other piano-accompanied version is much better.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Now that's an interesting point, Horace. I think many readers will sit up, reading your comment. Your trained ears are incredibly special. Thanks, I'm learning much from you.

Also many thanks to the others who wrote in specially to make comments. Appreciate the immediate response to my posting.

This haunting piece reminds me of Cry Me A River (I think Ms Fredenham recorded it too), quiet, distinctive with sensuality only a woman vocalist could render.

Anyone?

MIKE (BEATLES OF MALAYSIA: MIKE AND HERB) said...

Hi Andy,

Just a short email to wish you and your family a Happy and prosperous Chinese new year 2018.

Mike and Herb

FL said...

I listened attentively to Alice's singing. It's a marvellous performance. She has a natural and distinct style of singing. My conclusion, she is indeed very talented!

WAYFARER (SL) said...

Congratulations to John and Betsy Cher on their 41st Wedding Anniversary. May there be many, many, more to come.

Thank you for sharing your courtship and wedding story. So amusing and the part about the 12 trays of sandwiches was hilarious.

EDWIN GOH (FORMER RELC DIRECTOR) said...

Fantastic singer.

MERLIN LIM (FORMER 'SILVER STRINGS' RHYTHM GUITARIST) said...

This new singer has a powerful voice. Her singing style is more of a nightclub or cabaret singer. A performer rather than an entertainer.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Again many thanks to all those who commented on this post. It takes time and effort to pen a piece of writing and I am not taking for granted to those who have been so kind to reply.

A HAPPY LUNAR NEW YEAR 2018 TO ALL WHO HAVE WRITTEN AND OTHERS WHO READ THIS BLOG.

2018快乐的农历新年对我所有的读者

tan510jomast (ex fried ice matt tan) said...

this is the first time I 've seen or heard Alice Fredenham. I was just curious when I saw the gorgeous woman at the top corner of your blog page, Andy. she appears very nervous, but the moment she opens her mouth to sing " Is your figure less than greek. Is your mouth a little weak. When you open it to speak. " ... I was thinking undoubtedly My Funny Valentine was written in 1937 when Richard Rodgers first met a woman like Alice Fredenham. as she continues to sing, she forgot she was nervous, and she moves her body and hands , bending her knees , to form herself like Venus Rising. alas, she is a goddess, I want to marry this woman! she sings a bit like Billie Holliday, slurring , bending , twirling..the notes like a chinese lute or like the wings of a butterfly shivering in the breeze. and she is not even undressing herself like JLO, Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus or Madonna . she does not need to remove her clothes, at all to capture the attention of anyone who sees her, or listen to her sing. give her my phone number , I am ready to be give up my singlehood for this woman. and she cries after a performance. what a rare creature is this, in a world of unfeeling robots !!! Be my Valentine, Alice Fredenham

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

WOW !!!

That's an exceptionally incredible piece of writing Matt. You can do it if you want to. You write beautifully, 'bending, twirling' your words. I hope she reads it.

What an exciting Valentine's Day message for Ms Fredenham.

Check it out Horace, this guy writes like he plays his guitar. With finesse.

Thanks, Matt.

(CLICK TO MATT'S CONNECTION AND LISTEN TO HIS MUSIC.)