SINGAPORE 60's: ANDY's POP MUSIC INFLUENCE IS MY PERSONAL MUSIC AND MEMORY TRAIL. PICTURES TELL STORIES BUT I DO NOT OWN THE RIGHTS TO YOU TUBE VIDEOS, AUDIO TRACKS OR IMAGES. THEY HAVE BEEN UPLOADED FOR EDUCATIONAL AND ILLUSTRATIVE PURPOSES SO INFORM ME IF COPYRIGHTED AND THEY WILL BE DELETED. ANDY LIM (NOVEMBER, 2008).

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Forming 'Echoes': RAF Changi Connection Pt III

The Arcadians:
Born in Dumfries, Scotland, in the 40s, Allan Thompson had a father who played violin, oboe and clarinet in various dance bands (notably The Arcadians) and the Dumfries Orchestra in the early 1930s.
Classical Or Rock:
According to Allan, "He tried to interest me in learning a classical instrument, but in 1956/57 I was only interested in learning guitar after seeing Chuck Berry in the film, Rock, Rock, Rock. Dad refused to finance guitar lessons and my first 'guitar' was a home-made solid with four violin strings and no pick-ups.
It was made from a single piece of softwood and was converted into firewood by my mother at some later stage. In 1959 I bought my first acoustic guitar and learned a few chords from a friend."
The Echoes:
In early 1961 he bought a Framus Tuxedo red solid electric bass-guitar and had a few lessons from Billy Stenhouse who played bass in a local band, The Cherokees.
"I formed a band called The Echoes in Stranraer but some of our members were reluctant to rehearse so we disbanded after only three awful gigs."
Original article/image: Allan Thompson Collection. Copyrights Reserved.

No comments: