Saturday, July 10, 2010

Danny Koh: Fishermen, Candidates (Part III)

In my search for Singapore's 60s instrumental group members, I remember the Cathay restaurant where sea-food was as popular as the bands that performed there. Danny Koh provided the answer that I posted a year and a half ago on the blog when I asked him about this restaurant.*


Pianist, tutor and musical director Danny formed two very popular bands, The Fishermen and The Candidates that played to a packed restaurant called The Kelong in the 1970s. (Notes from a letter to Andy on Sunday, 6th June, 2010):

He was with The Trailers for 3 years. The band had a number of **pianists - or keyboardists - before he joined them. The first in the group was Michael, followed by Patrick Foo, then Danny himself and Benson Goh. There were others too but it had been many years since and there was difficulty remembering specific names.

When Danny left The Trailers, he formed The Fishermen and they performed regularly at the Kelong Niteclub which was the old Cathay Restaurant. The original musicians in the group included Benny Chan (guitar) and Amir Samsudin (drummer), both from the Checkmates and Robert Suriya (guitar), who is now residing in Guam. Robert, of course, was from Naomi and The Boys.

After the group disbanded, Danny formed another band called, The Candidates. The musicians were Ramon Rahmat from the BlackJacks, Sanip Ismail, who had since passed away, Leon Lim, who now resides in Vietnam and Leo Fernando, a saxaphonist of stature and renown. This professional band of men performed at the Kelong, Singapore and at the Fortuna Hotel in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia for some time.

Danny added that when they were at the peak of their popularity, they signed under the RCA label and recorded some songs, but the record was never released for reasons known to the group themselves.

**Danny is a 'pianist' rather than a 'keyboardist', the distinction being clear that he has a Licentiate from the Royal School of Music (LRSM).
Danny Koh: Singapore's Most 
Established Pianist and Musical Director.




Original article: Andy Lim.

6 comments:

Nan @ Nan Tsab said...

i like your effort to research the lost bands especially the instrumental band of singapura..
love it..i gonna keep reading your blog!!

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Hey Nan,
Thanks for visiting. It's been a while too since I went over to yours. You are one sincere individual.

Some people tell me it's a waste of time because while others are trying to make a living today from Singapore 60s pop music, I am not.

I just told them plainly that if this blog can help others understand and appreciate our 60s music bands and culture, I would have achieved what I wanted to do in the first place.

There have been a number of students, researchers, university professors and movie makers who have written in. I try to help in whatever way I can because I am still learning myself.

I wish more young people would read this blog, so please spread the word.

And let me know how the postings can be improved to spread the love for Sing60smusic.
Cheers.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Check out Nan's Blog:

SATURDAY, JULY 10, 2010
Random shits in english..

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

http://sampahsampahsedunia.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Hi Andy just linked your blog to my facebook.

KM

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Thank you KM.

I appreciate the connection and hope you will get lots of mail from family, friends and students.

Cheers.