Saturday, December 06, 2008

Paul Anka Of Singapore: Avenue Of Fun Part 2

Because I loved singing on stage, I participated in the *Singapore' s Paul Anka competition in December 1959 (image 1).  Luckily for me I won the contest. The win allowed me to break into the music scene but I only wanted to sing as a non-professional. I was already earning my keeps as a teacher and did not want to jeapardise my position going into something as unstable as a music career.

Besides the very large trophy I received (image 2), the products, vouchers and cash that came with the title were all worthwhile. It was exciting for me but I never had the intention of using the title again after winning the contest. But the win was a ticket to Singapore's entertainment world which I thought was something worthwhile since I was only 19 years young.

I must admit I can only sing in my own way and I will never ever try to imitate other top Hollywood stars like Paul Anka again.  Aping the west was also the in-thing in the 60s but I have never been able to accept this idea. To be honest, I like only a few of  Paul Anka's earlier songs, maybe Diana, My Hometown and I Love You, Baby.

When the leader of the Silver Strings Audie Ng asked me to join the band after meeting me during practice with the Velvetones I agreed but that was after I completed my studies at Teachers' College since we only met in 1964. I had great moments fronting them for about two years but since I had my own career I was not able to sing full time at entertainment venues nor make sound recordings. I decided to quit and remained a full-time teacher and I had never regretted leaving this avenue of fun and games.

I took the academic path after achieving my Teachers' College Certificate from Singapore (1962).  A Colombo Plan scholarship took me to New Zealand where I acquired a teaching Diploma (1973), a Bachelor's (1987) and a Master's (2005) from Canada and Australia respectively. Music for me is only a hobby. But teaching in schools and at the universities, ah that's another thing.  Now I only want to write about my experience and about pop music.

In June 2008 I met Audie Ng again and he asked me to sing "for the fun of it and for charity". He was referring to the VivoCity Pop 60s music meet in November that year. I took a while to decide after refusing him a few times but since the show was to help needy school children I agreed.

The idea of this blog came about after the show when I realised that not many people were writing about our pop scene in the sixties.

*Information: Siva Choy (of Cyclones vocal group fame and composer of Why You So Like That) said, "I took part in the All-Singapore-Paul Anka-Singing Competition. This must have been in 1960 or '59. I got as far as the semi-finals and then I got knocked out. That was a great experience (Legends of Golden Venus - pg: 15 Times Edition 1999, Joseph Pereira)."

Image 1 from Straits Times Archives Advertisement 13.12.1959.
Image 2 from Andy Lim Collection.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, big trophy? Must show it to me one day.