SINGAPORE 60's: ANDY'S POP MUSIC INFLUENCE: ON THE MUSIC N MEMORY TRAIL IS MY OWN BLOG N ROLL PROJECT. NOSTALGIA IS PERSONAL HISTORY N PICTURES TELL STORIES. (I DO NOT OWN THE RIGHTS TO YOU-TUBE VIDEOS, AUDIO TRACKS OR IMAGES. THEY ARE UPLOADED FOR EDUCATIONAL AND ILLUSTRATIVE PURPOSES ONLY. MOST ARTICLES AND SOME IMAGES ARE ORIGINAL, COPYRIGHTED AND LABELLED SUCH. KNOWLEDGE IS FREE. COPYRIGHTS ARE NOT. ANDY YOUNG. November, 2008).





Thursday, January 14, 2010

(4) E&O Hotel, Georgetown Penang And Kuala Lumpur Cricket Club, Malaya, 60s, Soliano Bros.

UK/US BANDS IN SINGAPORE:

"When we discussed music and I informed him that I was a big band jazz vocalist he invited me to talk to a couple of the local band boys that worked at the hotel. I ended up singing with two of the bands in the E&O during the weekends.

Also posted in Penang at that time were the Royal Green Jackets. Some of the Regiments' bandsmen used to come to the E&O where I got to know a few of the lads that played traditional and modern jazz. With the help of the manager of the same hotel, we set up a Sunday Jazz Club and alternated to play the two types of music.

A member of one of the local bands that I worked with was called Gino, a vibes player. He did the arrangements for a 17-piece big band for the Soliano Brothers, who were playing for a radio broadcast and for the Kuala Lumpur Cricket Club (KLCC) in Malaya. I was invited to sing."

Are you familiar with the E&O Hotel in Penang, Malaysia? Does anyone knows Lance Raymond when he sang there in the 60s?

Check: December 29th, 30th for Postings 1 and 2 for on British Servicemen in Singapore.

Image/Edited Information: Lance Raymond.

From: P.C. Collection.


6 comments:

BC Teoh said...

My home town, Kedah, is just next to Penang. I even studied in Penang for 2 years.

I passed by E&O Hotel many times but never stepped inside. It is a hotel that is very elegant and with so much old day charm.

Victor said...

There's a photo of E&O Hotel here.

Andy, I am just being curious. Does P.C. Collection mean "Profkingsfield"? Did he request that you only quote his initials?

Andy Young* said...

Hi BC,
Thanks for the comment on the E&O Hotel. I have yet to visit it or stay at this place. I am wondering if there are bands still playing 60s music in the lounge or bar?

Andy Young* said...

Hi Victor,
Thank you for the picture of the E&O Hotel.
Yes you are right; it is P.C. but I have requested it and explained why.

BC Teoh said...

Andy, If there is any live band performance there, it should be oldies rather hot and loud music.

Andy Young* said...

Thanks B.C. I guess it will be like the Raffles Hotel in Singapore as the quality and standard of the place is of a certain societal level.