Monday, November 27, 2023

Japan Singapore Collaboration: Makoto Kubota Multi-Talented: Dick Lee's 'Asia Major' Tour: Written By Hiroshi Deguchi

Hiroshi Deguchi [from Japan/Spain], is an old FB friend who wrote about his own 60s music experience in Singapore and at the places he studied and visited. 

Now read another one of his letters about his Tokyo University music club personality, Makoto Kuboto who produced, in collaboration, two of Dick Lee's well-known musicals.

Hiroshi, Arigatou gozaimasu – ありがとう ございます
Makoto Kubota
Producer, Engineer, Musician, Writer.

Hiroshi Deguchi mentioned:

"I fondly remember a long time ago my wife and I went up to Fukuoka from Kumamoto where we lived those days, to see Dick Lee's Asia Major tour. It was almost full house although I didn't think he was so well known in Fukuoka. It was in 1991, a few months before our first daughter was born. 

Dick Lee: Asia Major 
[1990]
Orientalism
[1991]
Two of the productions, with Makoto Kubota, by 
Singapore's Dick Lee in the early 90's.

I have many things to remember about his show. One of the things I found was his album, Asia Major was produced by the guy who was in the same music club at the same university in Kyoto as myself. His name is Kubota Makoto, one year senior to me and  the most musical. I remember!

He could play any instrument; he was often asked to help other groups. He specialized in Bossa Nova, at the time playing flute but also a wood-bass player for a Peter, Paul and Mary type band. Sometimes he's a keyboardist for a jazz group. I hadn't seen or heard about him since graduation. But his name came back to me suddenly when I went to see the concert. By the way I belonged to the group which specialized in playing Shadows numbers at the time..."

Nojiri Lake @ Nagano Prefecture [1968]

[I found this picture taken at the club camp in the summer of 1968 at Nojiri Lake in Nagano prefecture. I am just behind Kubota [yellow], standing slightly shorter. 

I called some people who had belonged to the club named "Lilac Rainbows" intending to get more information about Kubota but so far no success. I can see faces who had played Bossa Nova with him and who played the bass.  I did some of the Shadows and Ventures numbers.]

This piece was written by 
Hiroshi Deguchi in 2022.
With his wife & pet dog.

Andy's Japan trip from Tokyo < South-Eastwards to 
< Osaka < Hiroshima <Fukuoka in 2007.

Andy replied:

"Gee. thanks Hiroshi for the story. it's a very interesting tale indeed. My wife and I were in Tokyo, Osaka, Hiroshima, Fukuoka [image] in 2007 and enjoyed our stay in these cities. 
The trains we travelled in were fabulous. 

You have revived an interest in me regarding Kubota Makoto, who also produced Dick Lee's other musical, Orientalism. Hiroshi has other articles written on this blog. Check his name under Labels below."

Makoto Kubota & The Sunset Gang – Dixie Fever (1977)
You Tube Video from: Terminal Passage.

Dick Lee: Asia Major [1990]
YouTube Video By: Famous or Forgotten Music

If you take information from this article for your own use, 
at least credit the blog and me because copying is stealing.
Andy.


Read about Makoto Kubota:

13 comments:

Cedric Collars said...

It is rather interesting to note how the Japanese music scene was deeply playing jazz and bossa nova but was unknown to the Western world. Sadao Watanabe was one of these people. My hat off to these wonderful musicians and talented ones at that.

CHIT CHAT said...

Andy Young
HIROSHI DEGUCHI has written some articles for the blog.
Here's another one... READ HIS EXPERIENCE WATCHING DICK LEE'S MUSICAL IN JAPAN.

CHIT CHAT said...

Andy Young
Hi Ben, thanks for the quiet but very effective support of the blog posts in FB. Cheers.

CHIT CHAT said...

Andy Young
Hi Jalani, bila berminum kopi? Thanks for your constant support of the blog.

Andy Young
HIROSHI HAS ADDED A HUGE PHOTO and some explanation regarding his guitar activities at the Club too. Let's support his posting guys. Give a CHEER and say your piece. I just wish these silly wars would end and everybody listen to more music.

CHIT CHAT said...

Tan Teng Teng
Andy, would you be able to get more info from Dick Lee?

CHIT CHAT said...

Gabi Lian
Hi sir, you know Dick Lee?🤔

CHIT CHAT said...

THANKS TO THE FOLLOWING WHO
LIKE OR LOVE THIS POSTING:

Hiroshi Deguchi
Stephen Han
Rose Khoo
John Cher
Alphonso Soosay
Yip Dick
Colin Colin
Winston Koh
Ann Rowena Lim
James Kwok
Somkid Lakhawat
Kali Dass S
Chow Wen Hing
Jalani Mohamed
Ben van der Laan-Hatikustia
Mette Olsen Laursen
出口淳子
Ser Kiong Tan

CHIT CHAT said...

Andy Young
Gabi Lian we were in a show ROLLING GOOD TIMES...

CHIT CHAT said...


Gabi Lian
Andy Young oh okay, well try to add me up let's chat I need to if everything is ok there. 👌

CHIT CHAT said...

Freda Hanum
Nice write from Hiroshi...interesting music too

CHIT CHAT said...

Gabi Lian
Andy Young it seems you're a musical too 🤔

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...


Andy Young
Thanks to all who stamped this post with a LIKE. And welcome those new readers who have just visited this post.

Do read the blog too as many on this posting have also written music stories, including:
FREDA HANUM,
STEPHEN HAN,
HIROSHI DEGUCHI,
JOHN CHER,
ALPHONSO S,
JAMES KWOK,
WINSTON KOH,
CHOW WEN HING
and many more.

FRED CHING said...

Fred Ching
A big thank you to Hiroshi for sharing, Brother Andy. Found these treasures from Dick Lee among my souvenirs in my music room while busy going through my collection.

Sit back and reminisce a little n thought it would be great to share… still so shiok 34 years on…

haha

👍❤️🥰..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcghneGIfiQ