Monday, June 07, 2021

Robert Suriya [Naomi n Boys] Chats With Andy

''I've always admired Bob with his song-writing skills.'' [Andy].

 UP TO 1,100 VIEWS 

Chatting with Robert Suriya in Guam brought about this story of how a famous Singapore band made it, with memories to savour... Most of us know the Naomi and the Boys story but we just wanted to hear it again, this time from the man himself.

Encore and thanks Robert.

Hi Andy,

Naomi and the Boys were actually formed in 1960 and the original members were Peter Richards [Keyboard], Henry Richards [Bass], and Joe Ahmad [Drums] with myself on lead guitar.  We toured East Malaysia, Kuching, Miri and some other islands. Naomi did not go but The Boys toured. We had completed our first EP with Naomi in Singapore before we left for Malaysia in 1963.

 

After being contacted by Mr. Lee H. King [AR Manager of Philips Recordsto record our next EP, It's All Over and since it was a big  hit for us, I needed to make a change in the music we were doing. So I reformed the group, with a newer feel to suit Naomi's voice and style.


I reformed the group with Naomi, Robert Suriya,  Moses Tay, Alphonso Soosay and Peter Thomas. This is when, Happy Happy Birthday Baby, hit number one on the Malaysian Charts followed by another one of my compositions, I Know

Vinyl record covers of the Extended Plays [EPs] 
by Robert Suriya's top of the pop Singapore group.

Naomi had many hits. It's not that she is my sister that we did the recordings but it is because she had a tremendous feel in the songs. We rehearsed at my home at 14 Lim Ah Pin Road in Singapore. It was also great to play and write for my brother Henry Suriya who had some hits too.


So the years went by, as quickly as a wink...


Then 1969 came around. Some of the members started showing interest with other plans. I felt really bad and like most bands it happened. Like the Beatles and the Shadows and many more. But the band lasted for a while. So we did an LP, The Best of Naomi and the Boys. It contained fourteen songs.


In 1970 I did a recording with Naomi on the Polydor Label. The four songs which I wrote showed the real Best of Naomi, The Life I Wanna Lead, Today, He's Mine and I Call Your Name. The musicians had Quests percussionist, Lim Wee Guan on drums and flute, Steve Bala on electric bass and I did the rest, the Leslie organ, the piano, the guitars, acoustics and the electronics.

With Hank Marvin, lead guitarist 
from The Shadows. 
The beauty about music is that it lives in your system. I still write new songs but just *Christian songs and other pop ones. I play and sing for the prisoners in Guam, USA. These people have made the big mistake in life.

The way I feel is in the title by Naomi and the Boys, So Sad To See Good Love Go Bad. A beautiful memory I cherish.


I thank God for the blessings in music.


Kind Regards,

Bob Wickeremasuriya [Robert Suriya].


This posting is in memory of Fumiko Suzuki.

Andy,

My late wife Fumiko Suzuki Wickeremasuriya  [3-7-1942 till 2-4-2019].  We were married in Tokyo, Japan on 6th December, 1976. We had two children, Carla and Carl. She was a wonderful wife and mother and was with me for four years before we got married in Japanese tradition. We were together for 39 years afterwards. I miss her.


Connect to similar topics.


https://singapore60smusic.blogspot.com/2010/05/when-naomi-and-boys-recorded-for-decca.html


https://singapore60smusic.blogspot.com/2012/05/rock-your-socks-off-says-rhythmist.html


Robert Suriya [right] plays the sitar, 
a Ravi Shankar phenomenon.

Those years smoking was a craze,
nobody really bothered.


NAOMI N THE BOYS
AS LIFE GOES ON

Lim Wee Guan, from Quests
joined Robert for an EP.

Three bands in unison, Alfonso Soosay [The Boys], 
Jerry Fernandez [Neu Faces], Robert Suriya [Boys], 
Audie Ng, Andy [Silver Strings] in 2012.


Images are most from Robert Suriya and 
Alfonso Soosay's private collection. 
Copyrights Reserved.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Bob [Robert] for sharing some memories of your wonderful band, The Boys.

Regards from Darwin,

Steve

JIMMY CHNG - 'DECIBELS' GUITAR GROUP said...

Interesting piece from Robert.
Even till today, I still enjoy listening to Naomi and the Boys' songs.

LAURENCE LIM [GRANDPA IN 'YOU'RE THE BOY' VIDEO] said...

Good article.
Nostalgic.
Moses Tay is related to me.

TP TAN said...

Just saw your chat with Robert Suriya on your blog.
Thought Robert migrated to PNG.
It was mentioned he was staying in Guam.
Or it might be Henry Suriya who migrated to PNG.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Robert is back as we chatted on Messenger about THE BOYS and NAOMI. Also dedicating this post to the late FUMIKO, loving wife and mum to their two children.
Thanks Robert.

Up to 200 views within 10 hours. NATB have a lot of followers, even today. CHEERS. Thanks to the people above who provided the quickest thumbs up ever.

And to TP, Laurence and Jimmy who provided quick chunky bites about the group and their connections.

suituapui said...

I know all their songs, Naomi & The Boys...and Henry Suriya too - I remember his big hit, Love is a golden ring!

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Thanks Steve for writing in all the way from Down Under.
I just checked the mail but apparently it came way before the others made their comments.

FACEBOOK said...

Alphonso Soosay
Lim Tin Leong
Koh Sui Pang
Gracie Teo
Freda Hanum
Raymond Cho
Winston Koh
Ser Kiong Tan
Ho Victor
Foo Jong Fook
Stephen Han
Yen Chow
Francis Anthony Rozells
Peter Cheong
Aesha Abdullahi

THANKS TO THE ABOVE FOR THE THUMBS UP

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

And suituapui too for your comment.
I never know NATB have gone round the world with their songs.
Thanks suituapui.
CHEERS.

Ivor Lesslar said...

RIP Robert 🌹🙏