Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Beatlemania Becomes Beat Le Mania: By Eddie Eng

UP TO 400 VIEWS. 30 PLUS COMMENTS

The Beatles not only brought with them their brand of music but their style of fashion too. From their mop heads to their collarless suits, drainpipe trousers, and unique boots, they were an enigma.  

Eddie Eng tells of his lovely Beatle boots and thick black hair (image below) which he could never style into a mop like the Fab Four, for fear of the school head with the long cane.

Thanks, Eddie. You enjoyed your youth I think.

Beatlemania:


"The Fab Four had tremendous influence in the life of teenage boys in the 60s era. From the accompanying photo, you would notice the ubiquitous boots on my feet. 
Eddie Eng enjoying his youth with Beatle boots but a Tony Curtis hair bob, or near enough 'kiss curl' thrown by Bill Haley. Compared to the mop, these were old hairstyles.

I would have sported their mob hairdo if not for a very strict principal whose purpose-made can once land on my buttocks for a minor transgression. Always immaculately dressed in a white long-sleeved shirt and with a tie, he administered the whizzy stroke with a detached air of professionalism, much like a doctor administering a painful treatment to his young patient. 

It was over in a second and the effect was immediate: humbled and subdued. In self-consolation, I quietly sang to myself on the way back to class  "When things  go wrong, just sing a song..." This oldie "Sing C'est La Vie."  by Sonny and Cher had served a great purpose in later life when things did not turn out my way.  

Music certainly has a therapeutic effect on an afflicted soul."

Article by Eddie Eng.
 
Sonny and Cher with C'est La Vie (1965), 
a song with a Merry Go Round melody. 
Hear it turning round and round. 

"When things go wrong just sing this song
The birds in the trees will sing harmony
Sing C'est La Vie and soon you will see
Your cares will be free just sing, C'est La Vie"
Sonny and Cher.
The BEATLES

Images: A Personal Collection.

9 comments:

FACEBOOK CHATBOX said...

Andy
Schoolboys with Beatle boots and Beatles haircut. Those were the days. Check it out.

Stephen Han
I think during our school days in the 50s and 60s there was dressing code and uniforms. Most schoolchildren wore the standard Bata white rubber sole shoes

Foo Jong Fook
My school shorts dark blue must have side pockets. We were trendsetters so we wore shorts without pockets. Perfect master always catches us but we try to dodge away until the class girls also laughed.

Freda Hanum
Wishing Eddie Eng a very happy birthday, May good health, an abundance of joy & prosperity follow you all the way. 🎂🎉🎈

Freda Hanum
Surprised that boys got canning for wearing Beatle boots to school I guess it's the same thing like girls wearing hi-heel to school are not allowed Interesting school story from Eddie Eng, but though I never heard this C'est La Vie by Sonny and Cher sure is a nice cute song.

1Hiroshi Deguchi
I am rather a type of person who believes that clothes are something to put on. But tight-fitting trousers and boots are something I am particular about since I became crazy about the British group when I was 16. I had to wait 3 years for the pants and 6 years for the boots for myself, I remember.

Andy Young
Thanks, guys for the nice chats you all created. Appreciate the interest. The subject of Clothes is always a great chatting topic. And thanks to the others who LIKE Eddie Eng's teenage days story.

mattjsltan said...

the irony to it all was that the beatles mop top and outfit was actually inspired by mao tze dung
if i got the wrong spelling perharps it is because i am not a big fan of mao whatshisname.
like freud never could remember the name of the painter who painted the anti-christ
,,simply because he didn't wished to. LOL

in hindsight, it was much ado about nothing.

FACEBOOK CHATS said...

Andy Young
TELL US YOUR EXPERIENCE ABOUT YOUR BEATLE BOOTS... LADIES TOO. DID YOU HAVE A PAIR ?

Andy Young
Hi Moody, thanks for the thumbs up.

Rodney Tan
I had a pair, sent to me by my sister who was studying in the UK. This was in 1965.
I proudly wore them to school, as a teacher at the age of 18,
I was hauled up by the principal and told not to wear them again! Urghhhh

Andy Young
Rodney Tan thanks for your interesting anecdote. It is true. I was warned about my hair...

Francis Anthony Rozells
My band The Equinox....we bought our boots n wigs thru mail order straight from Liverpool...

⁠Francis Anthony Rozells That's a treat. Thanks for your humorous story. Wigs too. Haha.

Stephen Han
No I didn't. Couldn’t afford them, kinda expensive then. I did copy the mop hair style.

⁠Stephen Han It's true, they weren't cheap.
Cost a bit last time.

Foo Jong Fook
Yeah the boots were expensive and beyond our means. Rather spend our pocket money on their records.

⁠Foo Jong Fook, yes you are always the practical guy.
Records are a better deal.

Frank Tan
I had Beatles Boots with studs on the outsole and heel.
Trend those days

Andy Young
Frank Tan hey thanks for the visit. Oh my. Studs. Rocker gang huh. Trendy yes. And leather jackets...

Ericbronson Wong
𝑻𝒉𝒐𝒔𝒆 𝒘𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒕𝒓𝒖𝒍𝒚 𝒅 𝒅𝒂𝒚𝒔.
𝑻𝒐 𝒘𝒆𝒂𝒓 𝑩𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒍𝒆𝒔 𝑩𝒐𝒐𝒕𝒔 𝒊𝒔 𝒂 𝒘𝒂𝒚 𝒕𝒐 𝒔𝒉𝒐𝒘 𝒉𝒐𝒘 𝒕𝒓𝒆𝒏𝒅𝒚 𝑼 𝒘𝒆𝒓𝒆.
𝒂𝒍𝒔𝒐 𝒑𝒖𝒕𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒐𝒏 𝒂 𝒃𝒍𝒂𝒄𝒌 𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒕𝒍𝒆 𝒏𝒆𝒄𝒌 𝒔𝒘𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒔𝒆𝒆𝒎𝒔 𝒑𝒐𝒑𝒖𝒍𝒂𝒓 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝒅 𝑰𝒏 𝑪𝒓𝒐𝒘𝒅.
𝒔𝒆𝒔𝒔𝒊𝒐𝒏𝒔 𝒐𝒏 𝒔𝒖𝒏𝒅𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒂𝒕 𝒅 𝑷𝒂𝒍𝒂𝒄𝒆 𝒕𝒆𝒂 𝒅𝒂𝒏𝒄𝒆.
𝒀𝒆𝒔 𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚 𝒎𝒆𝒎𝒐𝒓𝒂𝒃𝒍𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒔𝒆 𝑮𝒐𝒍𝒅𝒆𝒏 𝑩𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒍𝒆𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒊𝒂 𝒅𝒂𝒚𝒔!!

Andy Young
Ericbronson Wong I can imagine you.
Enjoying those years.
Even today, you are always amicable and cheerful.
Thanks for the visit again.

Koh Sui Pang
I had none... coz i don't even know the Beatles heeeeeeeee !!!!!!

Andy Young
Koh Sui Pang you lagi kechil dulu.
Still a young lady, huh.
Maybe your elder brother... or...
Thanks for chatting with us.

⁠Andy Young
Thanks guys for the very busy chat with those who wrote in.
Do write in some more.
Many Beatle folks out there; even the ladies before, I've seen with boots.
CHEERS.

DAISY KOH [MRS] said...

Love the Beatles and their music.
Paul McCartney was every girls’ sweetheart.
Girls with boots and mini skirts … stylo-mylo
at that time …couldn’t afford boots then …
happy with my stilettos…equally stylo.
Only recently gave up my heels for flats …
feel so sloppy.

Hi Daisy.
Thanks for the comment.
I guess it's just a matter of getting used to flatties.
Boots do cut the skin too but the pain eases off after a while.

FACEBOOK said...

Fred Ching
Rose Khoo
Eunice Chua
Yip Dick
Freda Hanum
Koh Sui Pang
Ho Victor
Ann Rowena Lim
Wong K C EuNike
Ericbronson Wong
Kali Dass S
Frank Tan
Davy Chan
Moody Cash
Michael Tai
THANKS GUYS FOR THE LIKES

FRED CHING [POP CONCERT GOER] said...

Fred Ching
If I could go back in time, I’ll love to travel back to the sixties for my childhood years which I’ve missed so much. Back to my kampung in Hindhede Drive, seeing my neighbours dressing up in Beatles attires whenever there’s a house party. That’s the time to get down and have some fun.. those carefree life of being.. just kids.. oh the memories of this album brings back to my heart and soul Brother Andy😊

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...


Fred Ching
hey, thanks for the weekly deposits of adventures from you. Hindhede area. Ah. And the album too. You created the atmosphere. That only comes from rich experiences. There must be a left-handed guitarist in the crowd too. CHEERS. KAMSIAH.

IRENE YAP RECORDING ARTISTE said...

Yes, yes, did have a few pairs, silver ankle boots, a pair of black and a pair of brown knee high boots.
They look great with minis when young!!!
Oh, oh goes with hot pants too!!
Thanks for the memories, Andy!

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Thanks, Irene.
You and some ladies who write in are so generous with nostalgia.
Your knowledge of fashion is unequalled.
'Silver ankle boots and hot pants.'
The men are so plain comparatively.
Ha, ha.