Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Night Has Been Too Lonely, The Road Too Long Tsunami: (Part II of IV)


"Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone." Subjects differ but the themes express fear, loss, hurt, depression, loneliness... and hope. The 60s and 70s music have them all:
.
"Someone told me long ago
There's a calm before the storm
I know it's been coming for some time

When it's over so they say
It'll rain on a sunny day
I know shining down like water

I want to know
Have you ever seen the rain?
I want to know
Have you ever seen the rain?
Coming down on a sunny day"
.
(Have You Ever Seen The Rain?
Creedence Clearwater Revival,
John Fogerty - 1970)

"Been walking my mind to an easy time
My back turned towards the sun
Lord knows when the cold wind blows
It'll turn your head around
.
Well, they're hours of time
On the telephone line
To talk about things to come
Sweet dreams and flying machines
In pieces on the ground

I've seen fire and I've seen rain
I've seen sunny days that
I thought would never end
I've seen lonely times
When I could not find a friend
But I always thought that I'd see you
One more time again... "
.
(Fire and Rain - James Taylor 1970)
.
"When the night has been too lonely
And the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only
For the lucky and the strong
.
Remember in the winter
Far beneath the winter snows
Lies the seed that with the sun's love
In the spring becomes the rose"
.
(The Rose - Bette Midler, Amanda
McBroom - 1979)
.
"Hey, I ought to leave the young thing alone
But ain't no sunshine when she's gone
Ain't no sunshine when she's gone
Only darkness everyday
Ain't no sunshine when she's gone
And this house just ain't no home
Anytime she goes away
Anytime she goes away"
.
(Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone -
Bill Withers - 1971)
.
"Only the lonely
Know the way I feel tonight
Only the lonely
Know this feeling ain't right

Only the lonely
Know the heartaches I've been through
Only the lonely
Know I cry and cry for you"
(Only The Lonely: Roy Orbison/Joe Melson - 1960)

Cash donations for the Japan Tsunami Fund (March 2011) at the Singapore Red Cross at 15 Penang Lane from Mondays to Fridays from 9.30am to 9 pm, and on Saturdays and Sundays from 9.30am to 6 pm.

Cheque donations made payable to the 'Singapore Red Cross Society' and sent to the Singapore Red Cross at 15 Penang Lane, Singapore 238486. You should indicate at the back of the cheque the following: Japan Disaster 2011, the name of the donor, contact number and address.

SMS donations by text messaging 75772. For every message, $50 will be donated to the fund. Each SMS carries a charge of 30 cents.

From today till April 13, customers of OCBC, DBS and United Overseas Bank can also make a donation via ATM, mobile and Internet banking. Donors can get more details by logging on to the banks' websites.

(Donation information and instruction from The Straits Times Singapore.)

No comments: