Thursday, May 19, 2022

Krontjong Indonesia Yang Tulen - Sajekti & Sam Saimun Dengan Achmad And His Band.

UP TO 1,900 VIEWS

This posting has been revised.

During my chat with *Brian Richmond on 'Music and Me' [SG. Vintage Radio], I explained how my father introduced me to the lovely kronchong music he loved when he would listen to them on the Indonesian radio broadcasts in Singapore in the 50's. 

*Connect later to listen to interview:


SONGS I LOVE: 

Another friend, with lots of records to give away, called me a few days ago and I came home with a box of beautiful krontjong (Indonesian spelling) vinyl. Since I grew up with this music, it was elation undescribed. One of the pieces found is this fantastic vinyl by Sajekti and Sam Saimun with Achmad and his Band (Record detail: Orkes Krontjong Asli XCSV 94824).

The songs, 12 in all, include an English explanation for each krontjong. What more can anyone ask for? The titles on Side One include: Krontjong Rindu Malam, Rangkaian Melati, Krontjong Penawar Duka, Krontjong Hanja Untukmu, Krontjong Sapulidi, Krontjong Telomojo.

On Side Two: Krontjong Senjuman Chandra, Bengawan Solo, Krontjong Air Laut, Krontjong Mawar Sekuntum, Krontjong Hanya Engkau, Krontjong Senda.


'Bengawan Solo': Chan Yung Yung.
*YouTube Video from: MUdotcom

As a sampling of the quality and details given on the back sleeve to explain the lyrics, Bengawan Solo (internationally popular) is presented thus: "The story of a river in Solo (Central Java), made famous in song and story, that during the dry season is almost empty of water but when the rainy season comes overlflows its banks, bearing the prahus of merchants with their wares. (above video is from You Tube and not from the vinyl record mentioned).

Originating in the Seribu Gunung (Thousand Mountains), the river flows turbulently at times, quietly at others, till it empties into the ocean beyond. The melody became famous during the Revolution of 1945." (Composer: Gesang; Singer: Sam Saimun)

And this piece of information is only one of 11 others. Another favourite, Krontjong Air Laut has a shorter piece, "Ocean Water, the title, is like other pantun songs, for improvisation, the name being just a name." (Improvisation, where singers 'battle' their wits with on-the-spot lyrics, is common in Indonesian, Malay and Peranakan pantun, a form of verse in the Indonesian/Malay language).

Comment anyone?

Original article/Image: Andy Lim Collection.

You Tube: Bengawan Solo - Chan Yung Yung by MUdotcom

Terry Offord (YouTube Comment:)
This beautiful song brings back happy memories of Ambassador Hotel Katong, Singapore, where I listened to this and many other Mandarin Singers, that was back in the early 1950's, I have many CD's of Mandarin and Keronchong Music which I adore. It is tranquil and pleasant to listen to.
'Krontjong Moritsku': 
Sam Saimun (1924-1972). 
YouTube Video from: Johny Damar.

One of the first few kerontjongs I listened to were 'Moritsku', 'Jembatan Merah' and of course, 'Gambang Semarang.' My father would be all ears to the radio frequency on Republic Indonesia listening to them. Beside these songs, my mother listened to the Shanghai divas like Chou Shuen and others to listen to her favourites. 

When it came to my turn, Elvis would break the hotel and rocked the jailhouse while the Beatles and Tom Jones screamed their lungs out calling to Jude and Delilah!

'Jembatan Merah' - Sundari Soekotjo.
YouTube Video from: Sundari Soekotjo.

Image: from a Private Collection.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful, Andy. I've got quite a few krontjong (keroncong) records, including an EP by Sam Saimun. The songs on that one are Kr. Air Laut, Tanah Pusaka, Kr. Moritsku, Kr. Telemojo. It's great. Like you say, keroncong is tranquil and pleasant, but it is also quite complex. It reminds of a sort of laid back jazz with a restrained Stephane Grappelli on the violin.

Steve

SPYEO said...

Lovely! I love Krontjong music very much ! 👍👍👏Frankly I'm enamoured of the unique rhythm of krontjong music produced by this musical instrument component, Angklung, made primarily of bamboos. 👏👍

Whenever I am listening to krontjong music, it is so relaxing that I could feel
my mind meditate and my body levitate.

At times I feel one should relax one's mind
And all will be fine.

On second thoughts I always believe Krontjong music has some therapeutic effect & value. If someone feels mentally depressed or is stressed just by listening to it, Krontjong music will relax and relieve one's tension & stress.

Thank you, Andy. 'Krontjong music' esp. 'Bangawan Solo', is ever so relaxing & soothing to one's ears.

Take care & stay safe, my friend!

FL said...

Thanks Andy for posting some videos singing to the beat of kronchont music. The music is pleasing to our ears and it's good for relaxation. I believe that krongchont music has its origin in Indonesia. I think the Indonesians play krongchont music and songs for festive occasions, too.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Thanks FL for writing in again and supporting the blog.
One of the best music to listen to especially for relaxation.
Let's hope that keronchong can be heard again more often in Singapore.

Ron said...

Listening to keronchong brings me back to my tender days in Bedok in the 50s and 60s, and my loving mother who sang keronchongs to put us to sleep. The music and instruments gets to you, and you relax and lay back. Irreplaceable.