Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Skeeter Davis' Interpretation US 60s Pop Music

A name that's too familiar with 60's music fan. Skeeter Davis needs no introduction, as she came way before Dolly Parton, Tammy Wynette, Crystal Gayle and the rest of the female country singers in the 60's.

"The End Of The World" made her a country to pop crossover star in 1963 but the one album that is truly unforgettable, is her reply to each of these already well-known songs, "He'll Have To Go," "Tell Laura I Love Her," "I Really Don't Want To Know" and "Please Help Me I'm Falling."

"(I Can't Help You) I'm Falling Too," had the harmony done in three parts by Davis herself, and when the unique interpretation jelled, it became a topic for discussion among people in the industry. Again, her dynamism in taking command of all the songs and delivering the lyrics her way, sealed the Skeeter Davis brand.

Her record (image) was produced by guitar exponent Chet Atkins and originally pressed in Nashville, Tennessee. The RCA Long Play album from 1961, made her so popular that it sold out within weeks in Singapore. Hunting it in the 60's was not a problem, but looking for it 45 years later is difficult.

She has been here in Singapore. Any recollection of her concert?

(Image: From Andy Lim Collection.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was googling to find out when she performed at the Indoor Stadium. I couldn't remember the year but I was quite young then. She was an enthusiastic performer. She even surprised us by yodelling, which I still remember her asking the audience if they knew that it was her secret talent! But most importantly, she made me feel special- like she really wanted us to enjoy her performance. Class act.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Thank you Gail for a very informative piece about Ms Davis. I will try to find out too. Please visit this blog again whenever you are free.