Saturday, September 18, 2021

Cyril Terrence de Souza RIP - A Horace Wee Tribute - Andy 60s Music

Terrence de Souza

UP TO 1,200 VIEWS 20COMMENTS

He leaves to dance with the flowers and butterflies. To jam with his pals again in heaven.  

Cyril Terrence de Souza was another unsung hero of the Singapore music industry.

He was a warm, kind and generous person and never had a harsh word and always had a calm pleasant disposition. Known by many in the musical circles, he was never one to push himself to the forefront, preferring to diligently play his designated role as a pianist accompanying many of the industry stalwarts.

Over the many years that I’ve known him, playing together in the radio orchestra or meeting him somewhere when  he was playing a solo piano gig or with a small group, it was always - hi, haven’t seen you for ages, how are you and a grin. A quiet man of few words, I never actually engaged in a long conversation with him. When I tried, he always responded in a sentence, probably followed with an agreeable nod or a yes. Very sparing in his words. He did move about with his residences, and I would often ask where he stayed or generally what he was up to. At one time he was staying across the road from me at a house in Gerald Drive.

He was already a working pianist from the 60s but worked in the library of Radio Singapore for many years. It was like he was a pianist-in-waiting for the radio orchestra. The day finally came when he secured the position of pianist. I guess he was really biding his time and jumped at the opportunity.

I would not categorize him as a jazz pianist though he could play in that vein. He could be described as an all round pianist, that could function in any music environment, group or as a solo lounge pianist. There were times I would get up to jam with him if I happened upon one of his gigs. He’d just ask for the tune I wanted to play, nod his head and proceed to play an introduction.

Besides gigging in his later years, he also gave piano lessons. I had heard he was living in Australia these years, and it was a surprise when I found he had returned to Singapore. That was only a few months ago, when his cousin Boni de Souza mentioned visiting him. From the photos, he had aged appreciably and was wheelchair bound.  One never knows the day when life ends and for Terry it was just a few months later. I’m still happy to have recalled some of the times in this quiet man’s company.

Condolences to the family.

Rest In Peace Cyril Terrence de Souza.

16th September 2021.

Written by Horace Wee [Copyrights Reserved].

Image from Val Ortega.

Love our SG musicians, do leave a comment...

24 comments:

JERRY FERNANDEZ [MC, VOCALIST FROM 'NEU FACES'] said...

He was a good humble pianist that I have seen.
In performances he was an unbelievably good maestro.
RIP BELOVED ONE.

Cedric Collars said...

I remember Terence from my youth. He was my senior in St Patrick's School and I did visit his family home in Haig road, Tanjong Katong. Yes music was the links that bind so many of us. RIP old friend may you enjoy the company of the musicians gone before you.

RICHARD RAJOO [GUITARIST] said...

MAY HE REST IN ETERNAL PEACE.

PETER CHUA [SINGER/TALENTIMER] said...

In 1976, my first talentime Terence was the pianist.
He asked me what key I was singing in; I told him I don't know.
He told me, 'A singer must know his songs.'
I've worked with him when I was a singer with SBC.
Everyone called him a, 'Yes Man' but in a positive way.
GOD BLESS HIS SOUL.

ANTHONY TAN said...

I know a TERENCE who used to play the organ at QUEEN OF PEACE CHURCH at Tanjong Katong Road.
Maybe this is the person.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

He may be the same person but I am not sure.
Perhaps other readers could help.

THANKS TO ALL READERS WHO KNEW TERENCE AND MADE COMMENTS.

MICHAEL BANGAR [PROFESSIONAL GUITARIST] said...

A great tribute to Terence from Horace Wee.

Just for the record, Andy, shortly before his passing, the late bassist MOSES TAY had just finished a three-month stint with TERENCE at the bar lounge in HOTEL DAICHI [it became CORPTHORNE HARBOUR VIEW and is now known as M HOTEL] at Tanjong Pagar. They had a vocalist Rosie in their line-up.

PERRY KOH [SINGER] said...

Great writeup and tribute to another unsung talent in our music industry.
Wish i had met him and better still jammed with him.
Thanks Andy for remembering our local musicians.

JIMMY CHNG - 'DECIBELS' GUITAR GROUP said...

A well-written and fitting eulogy from Horace.

ANONYMOUS said...

CYRIL TERRENCE DE SOUZA
[1939 - 2021]

His name is sometimes spelt TERENCE.

THANK YOU.

Matthew Tan said...

A wonderful man, fine pianist/organist. Played side by side with him and Lawrence Francisco at Goodwood Park Hotel in mid 60's. Will miss him very much. Grant him Eternal Rest Lord & Let Perpetual Peace come upon him. May he Rest In Peace. Amen¡


'ON AIR' - Untold Stories from Caldecott Hill - 2019 Marshall Cavendish Intnl. Asia Pte Ltd] said...

A series of road shows sent the orchestra and performers to many parts of the island. Some were held in community halls, while others were outdoors on a makeshift stage.

One night it was on an elevated wooden stage for Chinese opera that was particularly scary. Every time pianist TERRANCE DE SOUZA hit the keyboard hard for loud passages, the upright piano would rock back and forth, threatening to tip over...

CHAPTER 11
ROAD SHOWS AND RTS ENTERPRISES
THE RADIO ORCHESTRA
BY HORACE WEE

ERICBRONSON WONG [HONGKONG] said...

Terence De Souza
Another Good Old Boy from St. Patrick's High School (Singapore),
join the high ranks in GOD'S HEAVEN,
I heard from sources he is a remarkable n wonderful human,
also A Fine Pianist N Musician,
May His Soul Rest In Peace,
💐💐🕊️🕊️😪😪🙏🙏

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

A pianist is one of the most recognisable figures on stage because the musician sits alone, away from everyone else with his huge and usually black furniture, poised on the keyboard, ready to begin.

I am always awed by the presence of the pianist, sometimes on stage but usually on our tiny screen [19 inches] and only in black and white, in the living room in the mid-60's.

Weather it's KALONG SENANDONG, TALENTIME or CHINESE VARIETY SHOW, the same 3 or 4 prominent pianists from our Radio Orchestra will be present. So it's either Charles Lazaroo, Gus Steyn or TERRENCE DE SOUZA. And they give their best, never a mediocre presentation piano play.

Meeting up there, somewhere with the others.
RIP TERRENCE.

THANKS TO ALL READERS AND FRIENDS WHO WROTE IN TO SALUTE TERRENCE, ESPECIALLY HORACE WEE, WHO, WHEN I ASKED HIM TO, SAID,'I'LL THINK A BIT...' AND WROTE A LOT. HE IS TOO, ANOTHER WONDERFUL MUSICIAN AND FRIEND.

SAMMIN ANG [MUSICIAN] said...

Hi Andy,

Well written and Uncle Terrence will be truly missed.

Shalom to his family.

CEDRIC COLLARS - WRITER/MUSICIAN/PERTH AUSTRALIA said...

So true my friend. Nowadays with electronic keyboards the isolation is much less but more noticeable as he is still able to play but this time with a big band sound and he is the producer of that sound.

VICTOR LAM [MYSTERIANS DRUMMER] said...

RIP TERRENCE

JIMMY APPUDURAI-CHUA - ENGLAND said...

St. Patrick's School.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Perry Koh
Ser Kiong Tan
Irene Yap
Ericbronson Wong
Stephen Han
David Chen
Ho Victor
Davy Chan
Roop Singh
Gracie Teo
Eugene Goh

FACEBOOK FANS
THANK YOU ALL

HAPPY TAY [VANCOUVER/CANADA] said...

Andy,
Below is from my friend, TEO ENG LEONG, in our GROUP CHAT.
He's very well informed on music, singers; really a music lover.
U would find him a great source where music is concerned, serious.

TEO ENG LEONG [VANCOUVER, BC/CAN] said...

Thank you Happy for keeping me posted.
Yes, I remember Terrence de Souza who was playing the piano for the SBC ORCHESTRA.

Please thank Andy for his thoughtfulness.
Send my and our regards to him.
Take care Happy.

Unknown said...

Thank you all for the tribute to my father, especially Horace for bringing this blog to my attention through Frisco Soliano. My dad was a very talented musician, and a good father, always caring, charitable and obliging. I remember many of the names mentioned in this blog. My sister and I both live in Australia, and sadly, we are unable to return for Dad's passing. This is a terrible feeling! This pandemic has made an already short life shorter. Please take time from your busy schedules to spend with your love ones. As the saying goes.. "Here today, gone tomorrow!" If you can't put time aside to be with them "today", when "tomorrow" comes and they are no longer here, the feeling of remorse will be with you a lifetime.

Unknown said...

Uncle Terence was my piano teacher from 1972 to 1982 because national service took away 2 years of my piano lessons.My father was the late saxophonist John Lee. I remembered introducing lending him my Emerson,Lake and Palmer and Rick Wakemen albums.Memorable moments.

Richard Ang said...

I knew Terence from our church when he played for the choir. He also played for my wedding and later I had a few gigs with him when he needed a bass player or a guitarist , during which time he helped to write out my parts ,some of which I gave to his sister Mary, also a pianist and choirmistress.Yes he was a good man, a gentleman but quite a joker too. My tribute come a little too late though I attended his wake. Thanks for the good times and memories Terry I'm sure you're in a great eternal place now where you'll enjoy the music of the angels.