Thursday, October 01, 2020

'The Moon Represents My Heart' 月亮代表我的心 By Siti Nurhaliza, Bon Jovi & A Malay Version Happy Mid-Autumn 2020 Singapore

Siti Nurhaliza, Bon Jovi, Faye Wong, Andy Lau
(Top/Bottom: Left to right)

UP TO 4,300 VIEWS

The song 'The Moon Represents My Heart' 
was established since 1972 and was not only a Chinese hit but an international one, especially when Teresa Teng carried it in 1977. It was one of the biggest Chinese (Mandarin) songs ever.

The New York Times reported its glory, many famous stars sang it. These vocalists included Bon Jovi, David Achuleta, Kenny G (instrumental version), Katherine Jenkins, Andy Lau, Leslie Cheung, Faye Wong and even Malay pop singer Siti Nurhaliza. 


Siti Nurhaliza sings it with perfect diction, intonation and depth. One is the most accomplished Malaysian singers that I've heard since the 1950's. Her beauty matches her voice. YouTube by 'AFIROL82'. Thank you. I hope you will let it remain.

On the platforms in Singapore there's never a Community Centre festivity without this song. From our local bands, guitar groups and most choirs, the moon seems to represent everyone's heart.

As the years rolled on it became an unofficial anthem for the Mid-Autumn Festival or Mooncake Festival, so it's October guys and you'd probably be hearing this song and its refrain for many times this month. I remember too my grandson leaning it for a concert piece he was in, during his kindergarten days. 

It is also sung in Malay by this young lady. Thanks to Peter Balan.  BULAN MENJADI SAKSI - a truly accurate rendition and translation in Malay. It means 'the moon is my witness'.

The international standing it holds is represented on this post with a version in Malay and a Caucasian lady singing it with an orchestra. 

The words were written by Sun Yi  and music composed by Weng Ching Hsi. There are English lyrics to it but has anyone sung a version*. Could you let us know? Thank you.

Any comment dear reader? 

Enjoy and have a Great Autumn Festival 2020 Singapore.

But keep Covid at bay. If you really need to sing, sing it behind your mask.

Cheers.

*Apparently there is an English version, told to me by good friend Victor Lam, drummer to the Mysterians and lately The Burns. A screen-shot of the video shows below. It's translated and sung by YOJIMBO37.


Thanks to many readers who sent Mid-Autumn greetings via WhatsApp yesterday 1st October, 2020.

Haley Westenra and Shin (World Games 2009): YouTube Video Haley Westenra International. Thank you.

Images and Videos: Google and YouTube. Copyrights belong to rightful owners. Please inform under Comment page below if there is any objection.

Poster Explanation: 'European' = inclusively Caucasians, to encompass the Choirs that have sung it; 'Nur' = Siti Nurhaliza.

10 comments:

HIROSHI DEGUCHI JAPAN said...

We have a Japanese version of the song by Rimi Natsukawa, titled 永久的月.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Ahh thanks Hiroshi. You have always been knowledgeable with music information. I shall add it on the post, from you.

FREDA HANUM TEEPEES said...

Never tired of listening to this beautiful song "The moon represent my heart" no matter in what language, still the tune is beautiful... sooo romantic hihi 🥰

FRED CHING said...

Great to hear from you again Brother Andy! A warm welcome back my friend, you’re indeed missed. Thank you for posting and this is such a wonderful platform to share. On 8 May, 1995, I went to watch Bon Jovi live in Singapore. This was one concert that I went with a heavy heart as my idol Teresa Teng passed away just hours ago of a severe asthma attack while on vacation in Thailand. Saw one of the loudest sing-along of the night with the crowd and myself crying out in unison to this encore song “Always”.. me of course to Teresa Teng. Back then I was thinking if only Bon Jovi sang “The Moon Represents My Heart” in remembrance of the greatest pure singer of all time... Teresa Teng. It came as no surprise when he decided to take on the challenge to cover this popular classic. Thank you Jon Bon Jovi😊👍

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Wow! That was a thriller comment Fred. Ill try and put it on the main page of the posting if I can. It would be a time that I would remember too. Again thanks for supporting the blog.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

How true Freda. Thanks

FL said...

Hi, Andy, I have listened to the Mandarin version of The moon represents my heart countless of times by Teresa Teng and other Chinese singers, but this is the first time I have heard it singing in Malay language here ! And it sounds very pleasing to the ears ! I think if a song is very popular, it has a chance to be covered by other artistes in different languages other than the original version. Thanks, Andy, for introducing many singers in your blog.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Hi FL,
I'm always glad to hear from you.
You don't know it but I use your comments as a guideline to help with my postings because we lived the age and you are knowledgeable with your information.

Again apologies for answering a little off the dot; I shall reply earliest to all comments.

Thank you.

PS Hiroshi from Japan sent the Japanese version too. It's on YouTube by a Japanese lady singer.

Unknown said...

Hello Andy,
found another English version of this beautiful song - the singer also sings in Chinese. I don't know if I can imbed a YouTube link here - otherwise search for WJ LimaWix, as the name of the person who has uploaded the video - the video title is also listed as "The Moon Represents My Heart - Teresa Teng, 月亮代表我的心 - 邓丽君 English Cover by Elisa Mammoliti" - uploaded in August-2020. Also this interesting comment is included "This English cover is performed by Elisa Mammoliti in Italy on Aug-1, 2020. Instrumental orchestration is provided by my good friend Fred Chiosa in Lagos, Nigeria. All done while we sheltered-at-home in this Covid-19 era" - truly a global cooperation... I had the pleasure of meeting Teresa Teng's brother in Taipei, in 2009 - apart from eating at his restaurant, also seeing his small Teresa Teng museum, and a conversation about her life.. The song has been a favorite of mine, ever since my first trip to Asia, in 1981 - i didn't understand a word.. didn't matter.. the angelic voice made the connect to.. well.. my heart.. now.. my wish.. would be that Andrea Bocelli makes a recording to the song.. cheers.. axel

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Hi Axel

Your post above will appear independently on 22 or 23 June 2022.
Please check when it's out.

Thanks also for the interesting part about the museum of which I am not aware.
Appreciate your reading the blog, visiting it and commenting in detail about this famous singer.

You are always welcome to write again.