Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Andy Meets 'Vintage Showcase' Brian Richmond With Vernetta Lopez, Denise Tan

Andy with Brian Richmond and Vernetta Lopez 
at the 90.5 fm station @ Mediacorp studio in Singapore.


UP TO 3,500 VIEWS

You can keep the good times rolling and 60s music spinning by listening in to The Vintage Showcase on Gold 90.5FM, aired every Sunday from 8 in the morning to 12 noon where experienced, versatile and popular disc jockey Brian Richmond holds the reins. 
Brian hosts

Some of the features incorporated in the programme will include Brian's Top 20 and Singapore Trivia where listeners interact with the host. There is also a special request segment where a listener will share his memories which go with a special song.

Other music capsules will include, Singapore Snapshots, Moments In Singapore History and Reminiscing With.  The last one has special guests each week to share a specific memory of their past.  Brian had telephoned me two weeks ago inviting me to participate in this segment of his pop radio broadcast. 

Sound Engineer Wayne
He was a gentleman all the way, waiting for me at the reception desk at Caldecott Hill where a hundred and one busy celebrity folks go about their business. His was the usual, casual hello with a firm handshake. Then, "You still remind me of Goh Chok Tong." Ayoh!

Before we started the recording he introduced me to Wayne, the sound engineer, who dabbles with the technicalities of the programme. 

The actual session didn't last too long so afterwards it was a short tour of Media Corp @ Caldecott Hill and meeting well-known DJs Vanetta Lopez (Gold Breakfast Show) and Denise Tan (Lunchtime Jukebox), both hosts on the same station.  Great folks they are and these two ladies are as pretty in person as their voices are on air.

I won't explain what the segment on his showcase is all about but if you have been a regular listener you are probably familiar with it.  If you aren't, then all the more why you should wake up a bit early on Sunday and listen in.
With DJ Denise Tan.

Thank you Brian for holding the microphone, Wayne for making my recorded voice sound better, Vernetta for taking the pics and Denise for the picture pose.

On the way out, I couldn't find my car in the designated maze and got the help of a Media Corp security guard.  Lucky. All these people, really well-tuned... 

"Gold ninety point five fm. Classic hits all day." Don't forget. Sunday mornings!

This blog article is a repost from 2014, just 8 years ago😉.

Images: A Personal Collection.

26 comments:

BRIAN RICHMOND said...

In 1970, I broke my ankle and that was the end of my football career.

I had this love of the microphone. I’d been watching live stage shows and I was always enamored by the compere. I looked at the guy in charge, presiding over everything, and thought, “I’d like to do that.” Singapore Poly needed a host for their talentime. They offered to pay me, but I would have done it for free. They paid me the princely sum of $20; my first payment. $20 then was not bad!

My wife saw an advertisement for radio presenters so I applied, went in, and failed the auditions. I was nervous. The following year my wife told me to apply again. She said “You can do it, we hear some of the people and they’re not so good.” So I went, and this time I got it.

(Read more. Click his name above).

chakap chakap said...

NB: Report in TODAY Newspaper on June 18th, 2014:

MediaCorp’s radio stations are still among Singapore's favourites and the most time is listening to Gold 90.5FM. The statistics comes from the latest Nielsen Radio Diary Survey.

Click "chakap chakap" to read news item.

Nina Chewy said...

Wow u meet him!!

IRENE HOE said...

Thanks, Andy, for supplying our fix.

And thank you, Brian, for the weekly reminder that keeps us young at heart.

YEN CHOW said...

Wow! Next time let us know in advance when u r going on air so that we can catch it.

CHEN HUI SHI FB said...

Brian is a great DJ and event host! Met him at Queenstown 61st anniversary! Such a small world!

CHEN HUI SHI FB said...

Wow! My Secondary School English Teacher, Andy Lim who is also a talented musician!Have a read at his blog!!

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Thanks dear but I am not a talented musician. I only CARRY my friends' guitars.

YASMINE KAMALUDHEEN said...

Wow.... didn't know my EL teacher had such hidden talents

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

According to Brian, it's on next week for 5 Sundays during, "Reminiscing With..." segment. His Showcase starts at 8am. Thanks for support everyone.

FREDDIE SIOW said...

Well, bro ur blog is paying off now as I have mentioned to you much earlier that u are doing great by archiving n supporting local music/musicians. I learned also to use fb as my diary from u. Congrats.

chit-chat2 said...

People Who Like This Posting are:

Yen Chow, Freddie Siow, Aaron Choo, Doris Teo, Chen Hui Shi, Nina Chewy

Herry Jusuf, Toh Richard, Veronica Young, Roy Chew, Albert Louis, Yip Dick

Doris Lim, Tracy Tay, Priscilla George, Lim Kuan Min and Robert Suriya.

(From Facebook Extract)

chakap chakap said...

Thanks to:

Chen Hui Shi, Louis Claudine Natasha, June Pei Hong, Yasmine Kamaludheen and Joanna Chua for sharing this post on their FACEBOOK page.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Thank you all for the support. Brian Richmond is truly a popular DJ.

I told him while we were doing the recording, "Your PR is fantastic!"

For me, it's positive way for a retiree to pass the time especially when I can still write.

FREDDIE SIOW said...

It sure does keep you gainfully and fruitfully occupied plus doing a great service to local artists. They all owe you much. Keep it up.

ChatterBox said...

Award winning DJ from MediaCorp Radio’s Gold 90.5FM, Brian has been voted “Most Popular DJ” and “Friendliest DJ” by listeners in 2007.

In 2006, Brian was bestowed the “Lifetime Achievement” award by MediaCorp. That year, he was also given a special award by COMPASS (the society for composers and artistes) in recognition for his contribution in the promotion of local talents in Singapore. Having been in broadcasting since 1971, Brian has chalked up numerous significant milestones in his career.

HERRY JUSUF said...

Wow... you met Vernetta Lopez and Brian Richmond.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Nice folks they are. Brian is cheerful always; Vernetta is so sweet.

Thanks Herry, Joycelyn, Flora and others who visited the blog and supported it (comment above).

Just telling music stories about the 1960s and 1970s when seniors were young once. I am still learning from all my good friends and lovely students as I write these experiences to share.

ALBERT LOUIS FB said...

I guess we have to thanks Esplanade for showcasing local acts and Brian Richmond for promoting local recordings on the Radio.

CYL said...

Have not listened to radio for ages - habit lost long, long ago. Was a bit nostalgic listening to those oldies - there was one especially OLD - 'Rock and Roll Waltz'.

ADC said...

Nice snap shot! Please convey my best to Brian... he was a boarder in St Patrick's!

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Thank you A. I will do so when I meet him again.

VICTOR KOO BLOGGER said...

Hey Andy, I just enjoyed listening to what I believe was the last of your 5 installments on reminiscing abt the 60s music scene. It was a captivating and interesting recount of your experience. Missed the 2nd, 3rd & 4th. Do you know how I could catch up listening to them?

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Last one will be on next week Victor.

You can read the anecdotes under BRIAN RICHMOND on Content page as they were featured some time ago on the blog. But two will not be featured since they have not been posted.

Thanks for all your support through the years.

Unknown said...

Hi Brian .. I would like to request a song fir my friend Nathan Baptist who turned 83 years old lastweek. Wishing him happy birthday and many more blessing and to stay healthy for many more birthdays to come. Wishing him is Gerald Gunasagar, Arlene Castillo and Andre Gerald. His fav song is Don’t forget to remember me by beegees. Thank you🙏

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

This blog piece is a re-post...