Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Meeting Beach Boys n Wynton Marsalis In Singapore: Cindy Lai

YouTube video below with Eric Clapton

UP TO 200 VIEWS, 15+ CHATS & COMMENTS

This article has never been posted but written on May 4th, 2014.

Visits by the group and trumpeter could have happened in the 80s as no dates were mentioned in the articles.

I hope you read the previous post where I introduced my former neighbour, entrepreneur, fashion designer and health guru Cindy Lai, who took us back to London's Carnaby Street in the 70s and re-introduced us to Gilbert O'Sullivan's
Clair, one of my favourite pieces.

When I asked her to be a regular guest blogger busy Cindy cheerfully agreed and promised to walk her memory trail with us whenever she's free.  Here are the latest, where she met up with a famous 60s boy band and a renowned trumpeteer...
                    The Beach Boys: Good Vibrations: You Tube Video by Larry Jonik.

Hi Andy,

When the Beach Boys came to town, my classmates and I somehow got the news and went to visit at The Goodwood Hotel where they were staying. (It was so long ago, I stand corrected about the venue). 

We caught them at the pool. As fans and crazy young teenagers, we got close for autographs. Guess what, I pulled his hair (the tall blonde) & stuck it to my autograph album. For years after, it was my show and tell piece of memorabilia.  


Here's a picture, I remember he was the tall blonde, the one on the extreme right with the guitar.  That autograph book long vanished, have no idea where it went. I don't even remember which year. The scenarios remained in my mind, that's all. 
 
Perhaps another meet up that doesn't need evidence would be better. This takes me to another event.  Just sharing here. I went to Wynton Marsalis' concert at The Westin. I had planned precisely to get his autograph no matter what. I was thrilled when I succeeded. He wrote my name with best wishes and signature. 

Later I went to the wash room, left it on the back shelf of the toilet and walked out. When I realised, I rushed back for it after like fifteen minutes; it was gone. This one was a huge shame indeed.

Cheers,
Cindy. 

Images: Google.

The Beach Boys are an American rock band formed in 1961 in California by Brian, Carl and Dennis Wilson, Mike Love and Al Jardine. Since then, the band has undergone many variations in composition, being represented by fill-ins onstage as often as not.

Wynton Learson Marsalis (born October 18, 1961) is a trumpeter, composer, music educator and Artistic Director of Jazz @ Lincoln Center in New York City, United States.  He has promoted the appreciation of classical and jazz music often to young audiences and has been awarded nine Grammys in both genres, and one jazz recording of his was the first of its kind to win the Pulitzer Prize for Music.
Wynton Marsalis and Eric Clapton 
with Corinne Corinna: 
YouTube Video from: EClapton Addict

Cindy Lai wrote the above article. She had gone 
to London to be trained as a fashion designer 
and had a boutique in Singapore.

16 comments:

ALFRED WONG said...

GOOD VIBRATIONS to all the music of the 60s and 70s - Beach Boys and the rest like Cliff Richard and The Shadows.

CHOW WEN HING [SINGER/COMPOSER/WRITER] said...

Always a thrill to be near famous people. :-)

ERICBRONSON WONG [HONGKONG] said...

Yes those were the days When Goodwood Park Hotel was considered a high class n prestigious hotel,, Many Big Time Musicians checked in N loves relaxing at d swimming pool,, Cliff Richard N The Shadows namely were also guests there during d Sixties,,

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Hi EricB,

Yes, lovely, lovely. Thanks for the informative comment. It's true since the top guns live there too. You are absolutely right.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Hi Ann, thanks for liking the post. You're the earliest 🙂

Thanks Eric B. and Colin for the immediate response. Cheers.

Thanks Philip and Wen for liking the post too.

Daisy Koh said...

Hahaha talk about autograph hunting. Like Cindy I was another crazy teen too. All the famous celebrities seem to stay at Goodwood Park … my friends and I hung out in the corridor waiting for Johnny Lion and the Jumping Jewels for hours … no security then 🤣. I also regret losing my autograph book bearing precious signatures of Cliff Richard and the Shadows… something to show off to.

STEPHEN HAN said...

Great that you are able to meet your icons

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...


Daisy thanks, for sharing your personal experience. Those were really the days... Pity you lost your autograph book with their signatures.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Thanks Stephen. Sharing your style, always.

FACEBOOK CHATS said...

Ivor Lesslar
Winston Koh
Ericbronson Wong
Stephen Han
Chow Wen Hing
Michael Lee
Koh Daisy
Ann Rowena Lim
Charlie Bogosoff
Colin Kee
Patrick Teng
Lim Tin Leong
George Teo
Philip Chew

THANKS FOR 'LIKING' THE POST

FRED CHING [FB] said...

Thanks to Cindy for sharing your story. Today, I was listening to this album and what awesome memories for me too, Brother Andy!

The Beach Boys has been part of my musical vocabulary for as long as I’ve followed Rock music. So fortunate to have caught my true idols of yesteryears in Singapore too! This was an incredible concert and I loved their meaningful lyrics with straightforward rocking rhythm and their harmonizing is unique and almost recognisable as a signature.

This concert was brilliant and surpassed my expectations and seeing David Marks with his fender jaguar at the Singapore Indoor Stadium was an incredible experience, a night that I’ll never forget. What a tribute to their talent to hear them sing on their 50th Anniversary Tour.

Season’s Greetings to all friends.
👍❤️🥰…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZpVhmhVYoI

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Fred,
what can I say? It's a stupendous write-up of one of the best super-groups those years. And you wrote it during this moment of joy and celebration where an old year comes to say goodbye and a new year says hello... Thanks again Fred for another salute to the bands we love. ❤

FACEBOOK CHATS said...

Colin Colin
God only knows.
What a classic song from Beach Boys.

Andy Young
Author
Colin Colin thanks. Great group too!

FACEBOOK CHATS said...

Irene Hoe Ai Lee
Saw them perform when they came back decades later.

Andy Young
Author
Irene Hoe Ai Lee yes, they did. Thanks.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...


Jimmy Appudurai-chua
Rose Khoo
Jalani Mohamed
Sammin Ang
Colin Colin
Lee Johnny
Thomas George
Juzer Saifee
Patrick Choo

THANKS FOR LIKING THIS POST

FACEBOOK CHATS said...

Adrian Minjoot:
Surfin' Sentosa!

Author
Andy Young:

Adrian Minjoot , definitely.
Thanks for the reminder!