Thursday, October 24, 2013

*Singaporean Is Elvis Presley Of Vancouver Canada

Happy is the Elvis fan who enters Graceland
1) When Happy Tay wrote to inform me that he was going to Graceland, Memphis, Tennessee this year I asked if he could be the blog's official Elvis ambassador. Not only did he oblige but sent pictures as well.

2) Lately, I found out that he is popularly known as the Elvis Presley of Vancouver, Canada. I asked him about it and below is his story explaining what actually happened. Personally I think he looks a bit like Elvis doesn't he?

Happy Tay with a friend @ Graceland home of The King.
1) Hello Andy,

Here I am, reporting back from Graceland, Memphis, home of King Elvis Presley, mission finally accomplished.  It was "surreal" to be visiting Elvis home, with a fantastic and unbelievable feeling, just walking through his home.
 2) Dear Andy,

That's just an "unofficial" title, nothing important to put in print really!
Having done a few performances at local churches (one of them was 'Aloha Hawaii' with about 350 dinner guests, and me, dressed in an Elvis white jumpsuit) and some other private events, fans here started calling me Elvis (even the Sisters in my church addressed me by the name).
Happy with one of the original Elvis costumes. A personally tailored one costs US$4,000.
The only professional appearance I did was during a local Sold Out Elvis Show (he was then the winner of the Elvis World Champion held in Las Vegas). The venue of the show was at one of the local hotel here a few years back, when some local Caucasians ladies who were there to watch the Elvis performance, started to scream out my name - don't know how they knew me - and wanted me to go on the stage to sing! They kept shouting that I was the local Elvis, and wanted me to do a number too.

A citation explaining Sun Records at 706 Union.
I was dumbfounded, and pleasantly surprised, that I had some fans. Well, I was invited to the stage by the Elvis performer to do a number which I did, and to their satisfaction, of course.  I remember among the many paying guests that evening, was the Consular from Singapore and the Director of the local UOB Bank, among many other luminaries.

So, there you are Andy, that's how I got to be called Elvis here. Comprende?

Cheers,
Happy.
With the original microphone used by Elvis Presley at Sun Records.
Dear Happy,

Thank you very much for being such a sport with pictures of your Graceland trip and explaining how you got to be called Vancouver's Elvis. Now we also know why you are called Happy and how as a former Singaporean and a present Canadian you are able to shed your inhibitions and perform on stage like The King. 

Your sincerity shines through and you truly make us all feel good. Keep the Singapore name flying.

Yours sincerely,
Andy.

Happy Tay stays @ the Heartbreak Hotel. Check out his side-burns and sunglasses man!
*Disclaimer:
It's all in fun and games.  As Happy Tay explained in his email, this title is not an official one but we're just wondering who the real Vancouver Elvis is?  Or is Happy the only person who deserves it?  Anyone? Especially those from Canada?

Hey, Wilson, you reading this?

Images and article provided by Happy Tay - August/September, 2013.

No comments: