SINGAPORE 60's: ANDY'S POP MUSIC INFLUENCE: ON THE MUSIC N MEMORY TRAIL IS MY OWN BLOG N ROLL PROJECT. NOSTALGIA IS PERSONAL HISTORY N PICTURES TELL STORIES. POP MUSIC NOT PILLS. ANDY YOUNG. (November, 2008). IT'S DONE WITH MUCH TIME AND LOVE.


"TO BE A ROCK BUT NOT TO ROLL"

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Jose Mari Chan's Big Hit: "Beautiful Girl" (Pt II)

SONGS I LOVE:

I only heard Jose Mari Chan with Beautiful Girl in the early 90s. This carrier single from his album Constant Change sold very well and became a regional hit especially in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia.

250,000 Copies:

But not many people know it's written by a Filipino. It exceeded 10 times 'Platinum' status, more than 250,000 copies, so the Philippines music industry had to come up with the 'Diamond' Record Award for JMC.

Lea Salonga:

Beautiful Girl was even covered by Asian stars like Aaron Kwok, Paula Tsui, Sally Yee, Sandy Lam, Kamahl, Tomomi Akimoto and Yasuo T while other JMC romantic favourites by country mate diva, Lea Salonga (Miss Saigon.)

Christmas In Our Hearts:

Again and again his songs have rebounded as hits for other artistes. So when I asked some Filipino musicians working in Singapore about Jose Mari Chan, they exclaimed, "Christmas In Our Hearts!" because it is the industry's biggest selling Christmas album in history. Blessed with a great voice, good looks, a talented mind and rapturous fans, it looks as if JMC has got them all.

(A recent email from MusicMeister LL about JMC woke me up as I realised that he is one Filipino pop singer that I had to include in my list of music influences.

Beautiful Girl by Jose Mari Chan

Beautiful girl, wherever you are/I knew when I saw you, you had opened the door/I knew that I'd love again after a long, long while/I'd love again.

You said "hello" and I turned to go/But something in your eyes left my heart beating so/I just knew that I'd love again after a long, long while/I'd love again.

Chorus: It was destiny's game/For when love finally came on/I rushed in line only to find/That you were gone.

Wherever you are, I fear that I might/Have lost you forever like a song in the night/Now that I've loved again after a long, long while/I've loved again.

Beautiful girl, I'll search on for you/'Til all of your loveliness in my arms come true/You've made me love again after a long, long while/In love again/And I'm glad that it's you/Hmm, beautiful girl.

Image: http://girl-xinhonline.blogspot.com/

Information: Wikipedia, other Websites.

Original article: Andy Lim

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andy,it's a beautiful song. Didnt know it was composed by an Asian. KM

Andy Young* said...

I agree KM; it's truly old school, romantic and lovely. It beats many love songs from the West.

The 89/90s song is on this blog because it was written by a 60s singer-songwriter.

Thank you for visiting.

Lam Chun See said...

I like this song very much. A few years ago, I conducted some productivity training for a group of consultants from the Asean region and three of them were from Philippines. I mentioned this fact, and one year later, one of them happened to be in Spore again for another seminar and he brought along a copy of Jose Mari Chan's cd for me - "A Golden Collection". How thoughtful and generous indeed. But sadly, I found that I didn't appreciate most of his other songs. Maybe I should listen to them again a few more times. You know how sometimes, songs have a way of growing on you after a few listens.

Andy Young* said...

Thanks Chun See. In case you don't need the CD just pass it to me. There may be songs in that album I may not have. Kidding.

You should listen to them again. He's got nice vocals. More for the ladies perhaps?

Anonymous said...

I played the clip to my key staff this afternoon and introduced them to your blog.

They all loved the song, young and old.

KM

Andy Young* said...

Thank you KM. It is an acknowledgement that you must sing 'Beautiful Girl' during the farewell dinner they will be giving you.

But do they love the blog?

Anonymous said...

Will ask them next week. I know some of them read your blog. KM

Andy Young* said...

It doesn't really matter. Just kidding. Hope you sing the song you love...
Cheers.

Anonymous said...

The two pinoy singers, Jose Mari and Freddie Aguilar, they make Filipinos proud.

Andy Young* said...

Yes they do. But Aguilar is the more popular?
Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Is this girl a Sim or just pure Photochop?

Andy Young* said...

Do you mean "simulated"? That means a computer-generated image.

Sure it's been "photo-shopped". There is an almost surreal look to the picture.

Why do we care? The song is beautiful right?