Saturday, October 03, 2026

Andy 60s Music Visits Dr Tan Licia At SNEC: You Can See "Eye To I".

The Singapore National Eye Centre next to the
Singapore General Hospital at Outram Road.

In the middle of what I knew would be a pleasant eye surgery, I tried to share my joy by mumbling my thoughts during sedation at the operating table with the friendly team in the theatre. And what did I tell them? I revealed to them that I have a music blog. 

"Crazy man crazy, crazy news!" [Bill Haley]. 

And it all happened while I was under anesthesia because that’s when the mind became relaxed and euphoric. Because of the state I was in the incident was totally out of my mind afterwards. Even forgot to tell my wife who accompanied me for the appointment.

A week later when I met my soft-spoken and charming lady doctor, TAN LICIA again for a post-surgical appointment, she mentioned that she checked this blog. 

Oh my, Dr. Tan.  "Goodness, gracious me!" [Peter Sellers].

I was totally surprised but thanked her for reading it. We got to talking as she revealed that she plays the piano with a family that loves music. Hubby too is an avid guitarist with their own children in audience. 

An AI illustration of eye surgery in an operating theatre.

Dr Tan is kind, friendly and as she gently snipped away the surgical stitches near my eye, she explained what I needed to do for aftercare. A professional surgeon indeed! And she mentioned, in all seriousness… “We need music in life.” 

"Thanks for all the joy they're giving
Who can live without it? I ask in all honesty
What would life be?" [Abba]

Before leaving I asked for a picture together. Wait. Was it allowed? The nurse had to find out about hospital protocol. She came back with a positive smile and took us.

Again, thank you Dr. Tan for the successful surgery; your pleasant ways; for reading this blog and for being a music lover.

Here's one doctor any patient could see, "👁 to I" with.

Comments are welcome.
You can read them under COMMENTS below 

With Dr. Tan Licia.

Disclaimer: 
Post is not written to promote any medical institution nor professional.

Images: Google, Meta AI, Andy.


Johnny Nash - 'I Can See Clearly Now' (Official Audio)
YouTube Video By: JohnnyNashVEVO
 

19 comments:

  1. Anonymous4.10.26

    ​Dr Tan Licia is a Senior Consultant at the Singapore National Eye Centre under the Oculoplastic and Cataract & Comprehensive Ophthalmology Department.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CEDRIC COLLARS [MUSICIAN/PILOT - PERTH/AUSTRALIA]4.10.26

    We need our eyes to see but we need our senses to see what we feel. Sounds weird but it's true. Hope you have fully recovered your vision Andy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the visit Anon. Yes I am well aware of her designation. The emphasis is actually on the kindly person that she is. Appreciate. Do come in again anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Cedric. It was a simple operation to remove 3 cysts that appeared on the side of the right eye. Removal was simple but after care and dedication by the doctor is superb. And she loves music... Thanks for your concern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HARRY CHEOK4.10.26

    Thank God,all went well praise.the lord.

    ReplyDelete
  6. MERLIN LIM4.10.26

    Any Eye Operation, Is Tricky n Caution Is KEY. Patience n With Steady Hands Is
    Paramount. Really Glad, the Operation Went Smoothly. The Eye Surgeon Removed More Than Cyst Bro.

    She Helped Open Your 3rd Eye.
    Thks Andy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you both HARRY and MERLIN for the blessings and wisdom. Yes, I learnt some after the experience. Literally opened my eyes. I am grateful indeed

    ReplyDelete
  8. JIMMY CHNG4.10.26

    Oh dear, what happened to your eye that needed surgery? Hope it has fully healed. Glad that you had a pleasant experience at SNEC. So true that music and medicine has remedial powers that helps our body heal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was to remove cysts from below the eye and done by a music loving surgeon. You are absolutely right JIMMY. Remedial powers indeed. Thanks so much. So well expressed

    ReplyDelete
  10. JAMES KWOK4.10.26

    Anyone who reads your blog will love it. 👏👏👏

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank JAMES for the encouragement, and others who wrote in with blessings and good wishes. I had to tell my story. Guardian angels are all around us. and they come to help when we are most needed

    ReplyDelete
  12. JAMES KWOK4.10.26

    ANNEKE GRONLOH: “MA, HE,’S MAKING EYES AT ME.”

    ReplyDelete
  13. MERLIN LIM4.10.26

    Hi Andy,
    In The Course Of Our Life. There Was n Will Be TIME We Spent In Hospitals Due To Various Form Of Medical Issues. We i.e. Refers To Everyone, May Have or Maybe Forgotten To.
    " Thank " the Drs, Surgeons, Nurses, Etc, For All They Did To Get US Back To Health. In This Respect, It Would Be Good If U Could, Through Your Blog, Relay OUR Heart Felt THank You, To All Those Drs, Surgeons, n Those Florence Nightingale

    From All Over This Island, We Call Home.. It’s Just A Loving Kindness Thought n Being Grateful.
    Thks Bro,

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely MERLIN. THANKS TO ALL IN HEALTHCARE.👏👏👏🙏👍❤️

    ReplyDelete
  15. GOOGLE ASSIST:4.10.26

    Asking for songs with EYES in title:

    Title Artist Release Year Primary Genre

    "Pretty Blue Eyes" Steve Lawrence 1960 Teen Pop
    "Ebony Eyes" The Everly Brothers 1961 Traditional Pop / Country
    "Pretty Little Angel Eyes" Curtis Lee 1961 Doo-Wop / Pop
    "The Night Has a Thousand Eyes" Bobby Vee 1962 Brill Building Pop
    "Mystic Eyes" Them 1965 Garage Rock / R&B
    "Brown Eyed Girl" Van Morrison 1967 Classic Rock / Pop
    "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" Frankie Valli 1967 Pop / Soul
    "These Eyes" The Guess Who 1969 Psych-Rock / Soul-Rock

    ReplyDelete
  16. EDDY ENG4.10.26

    Andy is always so gracious and gentlemanly. That's just him. He makes no effort to be so.
    Even when singing a pop song on stage, you see the true measure of the man: impeccably proper and collected. The good surgeon must have had a mutually pleasant experience with him. Bear in mind that the hospital is the last place on earth to have a joyful experience.

    The famous blog has opened the window of people's world- even to the surgeon that operated on his eye. It certainly has a social function beyond music.

    Music and surgery have a common synergy: Precision. In surgery, you need surgical precision for a successful outcome. In music, you need to hit the right note at the right time when harmonising in a group. Research has found out that people who play the piano are also good at mathematics.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks EDDY. With your impeccable English you’ve made this post a manuscript for royalty. And your words about blogger has always been very kind, although he always feels that he doesn’t deserve the accolade.

    It’s true also that when you mentioned precision; both surgery and music need it…

    ReplyDelete
  18. ANONYMOUS4.10.26

    Sexy Eyes by Dr. Hook. The best.

    ReplyDelete
  19. HORACE WEE4.10.26

    👍

    ReplyDelete