SINGAPORE 60's: ANDY'S POP MUSIC INFLUENCE: ON THE MUSIC N MEMORY TRAIL IS MY OWN BLOG N ROLL PROJECT. NOSTALGIA IS PERSONAL HISTORY N PICTURES TELL STORIES. (I DO NOT OWN THE RIGHTS TO YOU-TUBE VIDEOS, AUDIO TRACKS OR IMAGES. THEY ARE UPLOADED FOR EDUCATIONAL AND ILLUSTRATIVE PURPOSES ONLY. MOST ARTICLES AND SOME IMAGES ARE ORIGINAL, COPYRIGHTED AND LABELLED SUCH. KNOWLEDGE IS FREE. COPYRIGHTS ARE NOT. ANDY YOUNG. November, 2008).





Wednesday, January 14, 2009

78 rpm Records, Keronchong, Dondang Sayang

Commonly labelled 'Malay music' like keronchong, dondang sayang, asli, ghazal, zapin, etc have Indonesian, Thai, Portuguese, Indian, Persian and Chinese influence.
I have always been fascinated by the gongs, drums and string instruments for accompaniment beside the flute or oboe for melody.
My earliest recollection was listening to the 78 rpm records that my family played on the gramophone (image). It was keronchong music that I love and calmed my nerves even as a child. 'Keronchong Kemayoran' and 'Keronchong Moresku' were the songs I enjoyed best.
There were not many record labels then but HMV (His Master's Voice) was one of the earliest. There were other companies too. Some were Asian labels.

No comments: