Thursday, May 23, 2013

Steven Tyler: Past Is Gone, It Goes By Like Dusk To Dawn

"Every time I look in the mirror
All these lines on my face getting clearer
The past is gone
It goes by, like dusk to dawn
Isn't that the way
Everybody's got their dues in life to pay

Yeah, I know nobody knows
where it comes and where it goes
I know it's everybody's sin
You got to lose to know how to win

Half my life
is in books' written pages
Lived and learned from fools and
from sages
You know it's true
All the things come back to you
Sing with me, sing for the year
Sing for the laughter, sing for the tears..."
(Dream On by Steven Tyler/Aerosmith)

I grew up listening to Dean Martin, Nat Cole and Cliff Richard. The King was always standing by. Middle of the road stuff like Beautiful Sunday, Killing Me Softly and Mother And Child Reunion were also my cuppa in the mid 70s (having listened to them on New Zealand radio day and night in 1973).

But I began to appreciate Badfinger's Come And Get It and Steven Tyler's Dream On after having been introduced to them by younger college mates who were around me in the 80s, especially in Canada. The grounding of course came much earlier from Deep Purple, with their heavy guitar drawl that was metal.
These songs gave me that extra edge for what I term kick music, songs with that extra under-the-jaw punch. But Tyler's composition was one that I kept in the back drawers of my mind. I never appreciated the screaming man and his harmonica although I like the song.

When I started seeing him again week after week on American Idol a few years ago, I thought I'd open the drawer again and take out the crumpled paper that had part of the lyrics, Dream On. And when I read the words once more, they made a lot of sense. "The past is gone, it goes by like dusk to dawn" but "sing with me, sing for the year, Sing for the laughter, sing for the tears." Thank you Steven Tyler and Canadian Uni mates.

Image: Google images.
Original article: Andy Lim.


pjanczykSteven Tyler (Aerosmith) - DREAM ON - live on American Idol - HD      
Video by: pjanczyk - June 11th, 2012.

NB:
Lead singer Steven Tyler, 65, described local women as delicious and a great melting pot since there are a lot of different kinds. He was replying tongue-in-cheek to a female reporter who had asked his views on the subject.  The veteran Aerosmith rockers are in Singapore to attend and perform at the Social Star Awards at the Marina Bay Sands area this weekend. The Psy guy will be here too I hear. Gallop on...

This article is a rejuvenation of two earlier postings.

No comments: