Sunday, April 08, 2012
Celebrating Easter: Religious Songs By Pop Stars
Most of us know that Easter is not just about painted eggs, cute bunnies and eating hot-cross buns. To the Christians around the world it is a serious time because Easter is the day when they celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Christians believe that Jesus is the Son of God and gave His life to die for their sins. On the third day after He died, which is known as Easter Sunday, His friends went to His grave, and found that He had risen from the dead.
Although there are many songs suitable for Easter church services across the world, there are much fewer songs, other than young children’s music, that relate to Easter in a non-religious format.
Personally I am familiar with a only a little mix-bag of these songs:
1. Easter Parade by Bing Crosby and Judy Garland
2. Here Comes Peter Cottontail by Gene Autry (Children's Song)
3. Morning Has Broken by Cat Stevens
4. Were You There (When They Crucified My Lord) by Johnny Cash
5. Amazing Grace by Elvis Presley
6. Because He Lives by Wanda Jackson
7. How Great Thou Art by Elvis Presley
8. The Bible Tells Me So by Dale Evans
It is a very short list indeed. If you know of other songs relating to the above theme please contribute. A Happy Easter to all.
(Posting is not meant to be a religious one.)