Sunday, March 20, 2011

Chotto Matte Kudasai, Excuse Me While I Cry...


UP TO 8,200 VIEWS, 18 COMMENTS.

SONGS I LOVE:


An English song, written and composed by Loyal E Garner with Jeanne Nakashima and sung by The Sandpipers (1971) but with a Japanese title is Chotto Matte Kudasai. In Japanese (ちょっと待ってください) it means, 'please wait for a second' or 'please wait a moment.' although 'Shosho omachi kudasai' is more polite.

The simplicity and sentiment of the lyrics, possibly conjuring an image of a beautiful girl or young man (depending on the singer), make it so popular that it has been recorded in other languages. Singapore, Malaya, other Asian music artistes like Frankie Cheah and Frances Yip have recorded it.

Frances Yip: Chotto Matte Kudasai (Never Say Goodbye) Video: Patrick O.

Martin Denny has quite a sugary version vocalised by an Asian lady. In the new century, a Filipino group called Joey de Leon and The Sex Bombs has another. It is a lounge favourite with both pianists and nightclubbers, a karaoke 'must sing' and can be heard in any building that plays elevator music.


It is also on the list of many electronic organ song sheets as school children learn this melody for a Grade 3 or 4 keyboard practice. Very popular in music schools and music teachers.


Chotto Matte is a hit with elementary keyboard enthusiasts and the music notes are commonly found with Que Sera Sera and Annie Laurie; the melody is loved by many young 'uns. Tree cheers for evergreens.


Then in 2012, this title surfaced again, sung by a group who call themselves Anger Me, former S/Mileage, a Japanese idol girl group. But it's not the same song; only the title is.
Chott Matte Kudasai by The Sandpipers. Video by Braz DSZ. Thank you.

Lyrics to the original song:


Chotto matte kudasai
Please excuse me while I cry
Seems sayonara means goodbye
But no one ever told me why

Sakura was in the spring

When our hearts found songs to sing
But Sakura has gone away
And so has our love, so they say

Chotto matte kudasai

Please excuse me while I cry
Without your love, I would die
Please don’t leave me kudasai...

UMG (on behalf of A&M); SOLAR Music Rights Management, Sony Music Publishing, BMI - Broadcast Music Inc., and 5 Music Rights Societies

鍾珍妮‧鍾安妮: 
Composer:
Loyal E. Garner/Jeanne Nakashima

YouTube Videos from Patrick O and Braz DSZ. Thank you.

The Japanese version
ちょっと待って下さい ジェミネス
YouTube video by: TheDarimin
From Marc Wong [Nostalgic SG]

18 comments:

MICHAEL LEE said...

Hi Andy as far as the Japanese language is concerned I am wakaranai. This is a very nice song, especially with a good bass. Here is another version which I think has a better bass. Cheerio https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F8QiVffgXA

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Yes, Michael you really know your music as this is the version that's as popular. Thank you.

HIROSHI DEGUCHI JAPAN said...


This lovely song always makes me feel at home and soothing. Actually I sing the song every day when I feed my dog named "Sakura". I say "Chotto Matte Kudasai" instead of "Wait" then let her eat.

The song is not so well-known here in Japan as you might expect. Almost no friend at my age know it. If I remember rightly I first heard "Chotto Matte Kudasai" in Dick Lee's song or some Singaporean singing when I was there.

I found Japanese TeePees called "The Golden Half" sing the song later. I like their version but it was not a big hit.

Andy, let me share this with my school friend in Tokyo.

ALOYSIUS TAN [VINTAGE RADIO.SG] said...


I have one for you ...
'Mother of Mine' - Neil Reid
Just missed playing this for Mother’s Day 🤦‍♂️

FACEBOOK said...

Thanks to all who LIKE the post and song.

Stephen Han
Koh Daisy
Yip Dick
Hiroshi Deguchi
Ser Kiong Tan
Foo Jong Fook
Rose Khoo
Chow Wen Hing


ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Hey Hiroshi, that was a lovely tale you told. I didn't know it's not so pop in Japan. Thanks for sharing.

Aloysius, Yes 'Mother of Mine' is in yesterday's Mothers' Day posting on my blog. RACHEL REYES sings it. THANKS VERY MUCH.

THANKS TO ALL WHO LIKE THIS POSTING.
IT'S A BEAUTIFUL SONG INDEED.

JAMES KWOK said...

In 1971, I was a school teacher having my year-end vacation in Hong Kong when one of my cousins invited me to a night club. A Filipino group there sang this song, sounding very much like The Sandpipers and doing many encores.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

James.
Love your stories of songs and holidays.
All these years with Dick, you've both supported the blog.
THANKS.

MAIAH [YOUTUBE] said...

pls i just searched this on google to find what "chotto matte kudasai" meant and i accidentally clicked on this i didnt expect it to sound this good LOL

DICK YIP [UKULELE PLAYER] said...

This song has been requested many times during my uke jams and for performances too.
It's such a lovely number to sing and does... evoke sweet memories of those bygone days.
🌺☘️👍🥰🎸

MICHELE HENDROFF said...

My dad used to play this song very often in the car.
I hated it.

FACEBOOK said...

thanks for the thumbs up for this song
Michael Fonseca
Gracie Teo
Freda Hanum
Yip Dick
Angela Leow
Allan Wee
Terence Kessler
Ivan Loh
Elizabeth Clare Surin
Mariani Choi
Juniper Chew
Teo Lin Dai Violet
Lyndon Desker

FACEBOOK said...

LEE ALBERT
JIMALIFNUR MOHAMED

THANKS FOR LOVING AND CARING
FOR THIS SONG

FREDA HANUM TEEPEES said...

I wrote to the wrong post, this is nostalgic,
I thought it was on your own posting

ANONYMOUS said...

Insightful article you have here. I did a write up myself on this subject some time ago, and I wish I had your brief article as a resource back then. Oh well. Thanks again for this...

FACEBOOK CHATS said...

The Japanese version
ちょっと待って下さい ジェミネス
YouTube video by: TheDarimin
From Marc Wong [Nostalgic SG]

FACEBOOK CHATS said...

I love this song and always listen to the Japanese version with my wife. This is one of my favorite “enka” singer.
好きになった人/丘みどり

Andy Young
Author
Marc Wong hi, thanks for the recommendation. Lovely, really. Cheers.

Andy Young
Author
'The person I fell in love with' / Midori Oka

Marc Wong
Andy I’ve been a long time fan of her. Line up hor! 🤣
Sorry I posted the wrong link to the song. Here is the actual Japanese version. Paisay

Andy Young
Author
Marc Wong, hi! No it's fine. I just learnt a new song. Thanks Mark. This second one is truly so gentle. I'll put it up soon on the blog.
Reply12mEdited

Andy Young
Author
It's up and posted. Thanks Marc.

Andy Young
Author
Thanks to Nostalgic SG and the dozen others who LIKE this post.

FACEBOOK CHATS said...

THANKS TO THE FOLLOWING WHO LIKE & LOVE THIS POST:

James Kwok
Yip Dick
Gracie Teo
Michael Fonseca
Kali Dass S
Colin Kee
Alex Yip
Eewh Gnuhsb
Merino Lye
Sequeena Wong Joo Lee
Lyndon Desker
Don Soh
Lee Johnny
Bernard Cheong
Geraldine Soh
Shirley Boey
Jimalifnur Mohamed
Marc Wong
Weera Chak
Leroy Mary Kang
Onn Choo