SINGAPORE 60's: ANDY's POP MUSIC INFLUENCE IS MY PERSONAL MUSIC AND MEMORY TRAIL. PICTURES TELL STORIES BUT I DO NOT OWN THE RIGHTS TO YOU TUBE VIDEOS, AUDIO TRACKS OR IMAGES. THEY HAVE BEEN UPLOADED FOR EDUCATIONAL AND ILLUSTRATIVE PURPOSES SO INFORM ME IF COPYRIGHTED AND THEY WILL BE DELETED. ANDY LIM (NOVEMBER, 2008).

Saturday, December 18, 2010

From The Book, By The Byrds, For All Bloggers: A Time For Love... A Time For Peace... And To Heal

It's nearly Christmas and I was looking for a suitable yuletide album to post on this blog. I couldn't find one I like. I asked around and there were suggestions. Then a phone call from a friend who was discussing Ecclesiastes reminded me of a song that has words from this Book. So without further ado dear readers, this song is for all. Thanks for your comments, good wishes and support. A Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year.
Words-adapted from:

The Bible, Book of Ecclesiastes
Music-Pete Seeger

TURN, TURN, TURN

To Everything (Turn, Turn, Turn)
There is a season (Turn, Turn, Turn)
And a time to every purpose, under Heaven
A time to be born, a time to die
A time to plant, a time to reap
A time to kill, a time to heal
A time to laugh, a time to weep
To Everything (Turn, Turn, Turn)
There is a season (Turn, Turn, Turn)
And a time to every purpose, under Heaven
A time to build up, a time to break down
A time to dance, a time to mourn
A time to cast away stones,

A time to gather stones together
To Everything (Turn, Turn, Turn)
There is a season (Turn, Turn, Turn)
And a time to every purpose, under Heaven
A time of love, a time of hate
A time of war, a time of peace
A time you may embrace,

A time to refrain from embracing
To Everything (Turn, Turn, Turn)
There is a season (Turn, Turn, Turn)
And a time to every purpose, under Heaven
A time to gain, a time to lose
A time to rend, a time to sew
A time for love, a time for hate
A time for peace, I swear it's not too late

(I hardly know the Bible but with Edwin Goh's help I managed to get the source: ECCLESIASTES 3: 1 - 8. Edwin Goh was the former director at the Regional Language Centre (RELC) at Orange Grove Road, Singapore.)

Image: Embassy Records/Reissue. wikipedia.org

4 comments:

Lam Chun See said...

Friend. You should have asked me. In fact, at the end of year 2007, I too blogged about this song; or rather this passage of scripture from the Book of Ecclesiastes. Maybe it's that time of the year when oldies get nostalgic. Anyway, my article was titled; To Everything There is a Season

Lam Chun See said...

Oops forgot to mention that this is one of my favourite songs. Somehow, for a number of years, I thought it was sung by Peter and Gordon. Strange. Not sure why I made that connection. Do they sound alike?

Andy Young* said...

Thanks Chun See, I see you mentioned the passage in your posting.

Some cliches are worth remembering.
Not that I am nostalgic at this time of the year but I think it is appropriate to read the Book during this Christmas period and reflect.

Andy Young* said...

I guess there are similarities but I don't know about Peter and Gordon recording it, although there are more than two dozen other singers who did.

You can check Wikipedia for the list.