Sunday, August 15, 2010

DJ Carlito Meets Swallows' Vocalist Kassim Selamat And Pop Yeh2 Author Yusnor Ef


IMAGE: DJ CARLITO WITH KASSIM SELAMAT (SWALLOWS VOCALIST) ON THE LEFT AND YUSNOR EF (AUTHOR OF P. RAMLEE BOOKS AND COMPOSER OF 60s POP YEH, YEH MUSIC).

(1) DJ Carlito wrote to me on Tuesday, December 8, 2009, 2:47pm:"Hello Andy, I hope you are doing well... You may recall I emailed you a while back regarding my search for licensing of old Malaysian Pop Yeh Yeh music for a small CD release here in the USA (1000 copies). Thanks to you, Mr Yusnor Ef replied to me once, but said he was busy on a TV show and never responded after that. I know he is a very busy, and well respected man, so I don't want to be a nuisance."

(2) Another note came from Carlito on Wednesday, April 7, 2010, 10:47am:"Hi Andy, Ive set the date for my trip to Singapore and KL... I'll be there hopefully in the second week of July, 2010... I hope to meet up with several people... Mr Yusnor Ef would be on the top of my list. I would also love to meet you and hear about your music research."

(3) After much hard work and his research trip to Singapore and Malaysia DJ Carlito has this to say on his blog:

"Thanks again to Cikgu Yusnor Ef and Encik Zam Zam for helping arrange this meeting with the legendary Kassim Selamat. It was great to see Encik Yusnor Ef and Zam Zam again, and really inspiring to meet yet another one of my all time favorite Pop Yeh Yeh artists - Kassim Selamat.

Actually, my friend Yuana drove Encik Yusnor Ef and Encik Kassim Selamat back home that evening, and we listened to the Swallows greatest hits CD the whole way back. I sat in the back seat next to him and he sang every song; he even elbowed me a few times in the ribs during the freak out guitar solos. This is where I got a little teary eyed, a memory that I will never forget...

I hope to go back again to spend more time with Encik Kassim Selamat (Rahmat is his real last name - Selamat is his stage name - taken from a P Ramlee film character) and with Cikgu Yusnor Ef."

(4) Andy writes:

Well DJ, although we never met during your trip to Singapore, I am glad you contacted Kassim Selamat and Yusnor Ef. I didn't help much but managed to connect you to Yusnor via e-mail. Because of your passion and interest in the subject you have achieved your goal. Congratulations!

Exploitation:

As an aside, I hope these 60s pop artistes will not be exploited for their music. According to a friend, they are our national treasure! I am also wondering why some of our Singapore music research students have never thought of writing about them? Strange indeed. Perhaps some readers out there may have an answer.

Article: Andy Lim.

Carl Hamm: "Please do not download the image from this posting."
Image/article based on: http://menarigogo.blogspot.com/


DJ Carlito: Location: Richmond, Virginia, United States of America.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

FrameTurnerWins Pictures to Andy, August, 16, 2010, 8:54 PM

FrameTurnerWins Pictures:

Hi Andy,
Enclosed is an Art work of the Swallows for your wonderful blog to be used at your own disposal.

I've also included 2 rare photographs I got from my research for your informative library. One of which is a photo of a Veronica Young; a name that came after Andy Young appeared on the scene, according to the interview we did a few weeks ago. ;)

Here in Paris, we have an ARTs Channel dedicated to the 60's. Unfortunately it's in German and French but I've managed to learn a lot from it.

I hope you continue to write freely. My wife just reminded me that it's the 50th Anniversary of the swinging 60's!

Going on-line must have been a big challenge for those who have witnessed life in the 60's. (I know cos my parents are struggling to learn the ropes on-line too.)

Feel free to ask me any technical questions and I'll see how I can assist you from Paris.

Sincerely,
M.Erwin

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Thanks Erwin for all your support, information and kind assistance regarding technical gliches.

Without support from enthusiasts, researchers and film-makers like you this blog may be rendered useless.

Wish you all the best with your stay in Europe.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Thanks Erwin,
A posting about your blog is up. Good luck! I know everyone must read it.

Please write to me on my email at Yahoo.com when you can.

DJ Carl Hamm said...

Hello Andy, I wanted to comment on your final statement regarding Exploitation -- it is definitely not my intention to ever take advantage of any of these artists.. everything I'm doing is inspired by my love and respect for what they have done and created. I am not making any money from any of my pursuits here. It's a labor of love because I want the world to know how incredible these musicians are.

Also -- i want to thank you again for being the person who put me in touch with Cikgu Yusnor Ef. He was incredibly helpful to me during my visit and I was able to meet alot of the musicians I interviewed because of him.... so thank you again

DJ Carl Hamm said...

Also, I definitely regret not meeting you during my brief trip to Singapore.. I hope to meet you next time I visit .. which will be soon hopefully.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Sure DJ. Let me know. Always love to meet you. We've been friends for a long time.

By the way, unintentional if article about exploitation has made you think that it was meant for you. Like your blog mine is done in fun, without ads or sponsorship. We just love music from yesteryear.

All the best to you and the blog.

Warm Regards,

from Acer Tablet