SINGAPORE 60's: ANDY'S POP MUSIC INFLUENCE: ON THE MUSIC N MEMORY TRAIL IS MY OWN BLOG N ROLL PROJECT. NOSTALGIA IS PERSONAL HISTORY N PICTURES TELL STORIES. (I DO NOT OWN THE RIGHTS TO YOU-TUBE VIDEOS, AUDIO TRACKS OR IMAGES. THEY ARE UPLOADED FOR EDUCATIONAL AND ILLUSTRATIVE PURPOSES ONLY. MOST ARTICLES AND SOME IMAGES ARE ORIGINAL, COPYRIGHTED AND LABELLED SUCH. KNOWLEDGE IS FREE. COPYRIGHTS ARE NOT. ANDY YOUNG. November, 2008).





Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Blue Diamonds National Service & In Uniform

They are back again. One of blogger's favourite duet and even better than The Everly Brothers, the two boys known as The Blue Diamonds (although one has passed on), can be heard marching along with these songs. And in uniform too, with the Choir of the Technical Troop, Grave and Orchestra of Conductor Jack Bulterman (image):

Old Soldiers Never Die, Pack Up Your Troubles, It's A Long Long Way To Tipperary, John Brown's Body, She'll Be Coming Round The Mountain, Marching Along Together (Fontana: 266 358 TF).

They were then in the army when these songs were recorded and, like Elvis Presley (GI Blues) and our own NS boys, had to serve their country (Holland). "They had a ball with their companions at arms, as their singing, backed by a choir of their friends, is a selection of marching songs and melodies popular with soldiers. You will recognise them all (sleeve notes)."

You will too, especially our Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts and most uniformed personnel, professional or otherwise. You sure you have this vinyl? Quite rare I think. But these are really nice, old sing-a-longs. Any Blue Diamonds enthusiasts out there?

Image/Original Article: Andy Lim Collection.

6 comments:

BC Teoh said...

Andy, you introduced this duet to me several months ago. I have heard them on You Tube several times. I like their up-tempo version of "Ramona" very much. I have the LPs of Jim Reeves and Slim Whitman that contain this song.

Andy Young* said...

Yes, BC. 'Ramona' is a very old song even up till today. I have yet to listen to Jim Reeves and Slim Whitman singing it.

I posted the boys again because I found this marching songs EP in a second-hand record shop. They are also my favourite singers.

BC Teoh said...

Wow, you found Blue Diamonds EP. I think it is a rare find.

Andy, I have just typed "Ramona Jim Reeves" on You Tube and found the version of Ramona sung by Jim Reeves.

Andy Young* said...

Thank you, BC. Just listened to it and I think it's really a beautiful rendition. The Jim Reeves brand lives on, unique and rare.

FrameTurnerWins Pictures said...

Andy ... this is all your fault! I recall you telling me about this group called Blue Diamonds a year ago and the name crept into my ears recently - like a soft whisper from the devil! I'm now a fan of The Blue Diamonds and I like Ramona sung in German! Good write-up Andy!

Andy Young* said...

Thank you Erwin. There's more if you look up their website. Just look for it.

Wah, so much support from you!