SINGAPORE 60's: ANDY'S POP MUSIC INFLUENCE: ON THE MUSIC N MEMORY TRAIL IS MY OWN BLOG N ROLL PROJECT. NOSTALGIA IS PERSONAL HISTORY N PICTURES TELL STORIES. (I DO NOT OWN THE RIGHTS TO YOU-TUBE VIDEOS, AUDIO TRACKS OR IMAGES. THEY ARE UPLOADED FOR EDUCATIONAL AND ILLUSTRATIVE PURPOSES ONLY. MOST ARTICLES AND SOME IMAGES ARE ORIGINAL, COPYRIGHTED AND LABELLED SUCH. KNOWLEDGE IS FREE. COPYRIGHTS ARE NOT. ANDY YOUNG. November, 2008).





Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Wax Lyrical: The Simplicity of Songs Then

Lyrics of bygone days are simple and easy to remember. Nearly every pop-song enhthusiast can remember the innocence of Paul Anka's infatuation for 'Diana', his baby-sitter:
I'm so young and you're so old
This my darling I've been told
I don't care just what they say
Cause forever I will stay...
Oh please stay by me Diana.
It has an easy, upbeat calypso rhythm associated with the blossoming appeal for the newly loved to 'stay by me'. Such songs are common with first love themes and the joyful, innocent union. For Anka it is genuine.
Then there's the other extreme, as our local 60s boys and girls get into the song-writing act, so whether it's encountering first love or lamenting the loss of one, the same heart rendering devotion of innocence is projected. Shirley Nair's, 'Come Home To Me' reveals this phase as she pleads in all seriousness:
Oh my darling I miss you so
Please please try to understand
I never meant to hurt you
So please come home
Come home to me...
The rhythm is different with a pleasant rhumba beat and as the tears trickle the innocence of love prevails.
I can still remember The Quests who backed Keith Locke (image) with the song, "You Lied". The repetitive lyrics using these two words made the composition so simple to remember and enjoy. No angry tones, no messages and no unpleasant words...
Like life, lyrics written in the 60s were like stars in the sky, exposed. Are present lyrics just as straight-forward? Is life just as simple too?
Image: Quests Collection
Original Article: Andy Lim


No comments: