SINGAPORE 60's: ANDY'S POP MUSIC INFLUENCE: ON THE MUSIC N MEMORY TRAIL IS MY OWN BLOG N ROLL PROJECT. NOSTALGIA IS PERSONAL HISTORY N PICTURES TELL STORIES. (I DO NOT OWN THE RIGHTS TO YOU-TUBE VIDEOS, AUDIO TRACKS OR IMAGES. THEY ARE UPLOADED FOR EDUCATIONAL AND ILLUSTRATIVE PURPOSES ONLY. MOST ARTICLES AND SOME IMAGES ARE ORIGINAL, COPYRIGHTED AND LABELLED SUCH. KNOWLEDGE IS FREE. COPYRIGHTS ARE NOT. ANDY YOUNG. November, 2008).





BUDDY RICH: LAST PERFORMANCE

Thursday, January 08, 2009

Capitol Cinema Backstage With Andy Young


Amateur Night 9th January, 1961, 9.30 pm.

Backstage at the Capitol Cinema with Goh Brothers, Richard and Michael (2nd right), who sang My Rifle, My Pony and Me. I cannot remember the gentleman on the left. If you do please let us know.

After 47 years, met Mike again at Vivo City Concert on 8th November 2008. Michael performed Memories Are Made Of This and two other songs by Dean Martin.

When I told him I had met him previously, he wasn't sure so I went home whipped out my photo-album and sent him a copy.

Michael had recorded songs by Dean Martin, Elvis Presley, and other 50's artistes on 4 CD's which were sold in the US under Michael Gold (blogged on Dec. 28, 2008).

And backstage is the theme today. Notice our garb. I was wearing a pair of shiny, brown pants, either near bell-bottoms of straight drain-pipe trousers. The others had the usual baggy pants tailor made for office use. The neckties were a variety then, some pointed or flat at the end. A small, longish golden or silver tie pin completes the outfit. White long sleeved shirts were common then.

This was the period before Cliff Richard and the Shadows hit Singapore. Just after the 50's, teenagers were still crazy with Elvis Presley, Pat Boone, Bill Haley, Bobby Darin, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis and The Everly Brothers. 

Connie Francis, Sandra Dee, Rock Hudson and Gina Lollobrigida were the craze then. Movies like Gidget and Summer Place were the talk of the time and Elvis fans were crazy with Are You Lonesome Tonight and Baby Let's Play House.

So when these people were hot, we were just as hot.  And we were all back stage and on stage already. Exciting years.

Image/Original article: Andy Lim Collection.

8 comments:

dino martin peters said...

Hey pallie Michael, how cool to know the bros sang the Pony Dinotune....

Andy Young* said...

Hi DMP,
Thanks again for writing. Didnt know you wrote till today. Your love for Dino is really, really special.
Andy

Z.T. said...

Hello sir,

My name is Zach and I am a film producer, I am hoping to get in touch with you as I came across this post.

I am doing a short documentary of Capitol Theatre as would love to have you on board for an interview. I also would like to get in contact with Mr. Larry Lai, a well-known compere during the 60's.

I hope to stay in touch with you sir, please feel free to email me.
Regards

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

When I first started this blog, I had short articles like this one showing the places, people and periods during the beginning of the exciting 60's music journey in Singapore.

Cliff Richard and The Shadows, they say started this journey. I am not too sure because before he came many of us were already singing on the stages in Singapore and making music before Singapore Badminton Hall.

FACEBOOK ANDY said...

THANKS FOR LIKING THIS POST
Bert Fern
Davychandavy Chan
Philip Chew
Stef Sim
Mlan Yong
Mohammad Ramadan
Frankie Soo
Tony Ng
Adrian Wang
James Seah
Althea Lim
M.K. Lew
Maung Pe Ne
David Lim
Lange Brunei
Irene Yap
Mic Low
Leslie Wilson Joseph
Peter Lim
Jon Goh
Sunny Eapen
John Cher
Merlin Lim
Jalani Mohamed
Frank Tan

FRANK TAN said...

Legends no matter what.

MARTIN ONG said...

Great

PHILIP CHEW said...

Early 1960 neckties were very narrow unlike today.