Wednesday, January 28, 2009

(6) Dutch Connection - Blue Diamonds Includes Mr. Sandman

Ask me if The Everly Brothers are my favourite duet and I'll say no. In fact they one of the best vocal duets in the 60s but I find The Blue Diamonds more refreshing, vibrant and entertaining on record. Their versatility shows.

I heard 'Ramona' before listening to The Blue Diamonds'. It was slow and boring. Written by Mabel Wayne, Wolfe & Gilbert it was composed to be sung by a 1920s actress Dolores Del Rio. The later Jim Reeves' (He'll Have To go) version was much better but I was pleasantly surprised when I heard the upbeat rendition by The Blue Diamonds. The introduction on muted e-guitar ideally suited this recording of an old hit tune. The abrupt end makes the listener yearn for more.

Strange as it seems this pair recorded all my favourites, 'Pretty Blue Eyes, 'Have I Told You Lately', 'Mr Sandman', 'Lili Marlene' and 'Sukiyaki'.

In fact, 'Mr. Sandman' is my elder grandson's favourite song, having introduced it to him as a little child and committing it before he goes to sleep. He sings it pretty well too, "Mr. Sandman bring me a dream..." and off he goes to dream deep.

The brothers musical magic has lasted from the 60s up till today, remembering that they made many pre-war songs popular.
Mr. Sandman by The Blue Diamonds
YouTubeVideo from: 
Ted's muziek van Toen en Ooit.
Ted’s muziek van Toen en Ooit
Thank You.

(Image: Google and Courtesy of David Greenfield)

No comments: